• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Developers invited to put up plans for King Alfred in Hove

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 9 Oct, 2014 at 12:53PM
A A
0

Developers are being invited to come forward with plans to build 400 homes and a new leisure centre on the site of the King Alfred on Hove seafront.

Brighton and Hove City Council is placing adverts in Estates Gazette, the property trade publication, and in the Official Journal of the European Union (OJEU).

The estimated number of homes – about 400 – compares with the 750 planned as part of the most recent scheme for the site.

The developer Karis was granted planning permission for a scheme which had the involvement of the architect Frank Gehry. Karis’s main financial backer, the bank ING, pulled out at the start of the recession.

King Alfred 3The council said that it was “seeking a developer to create a new high-quality leisure facility to replace Hove’s King Alfred Leisure Centre”.

It said: “Alongside could be a residential development of around 400 homes, subject to planning permission.

“These would be required to meet the capital cost of the leisure centre – as well as addressing the city’s acute housing shortage.

“Developers are being alerted to the development opportunity with a notice to the industry issued this week and a trade press advert on Saturday 11 October.

“A new leisure centre is essential to meet modern standards and public expectations.

“A modern, new facility is also likely to attract more users, thereby helping to meet running costs.

“The current building, dating from the 1930s, is expensive to run at a time when the council is facing its biggest-ever funding cuts – needing to save over £100 million in the next five years.

“A council report in July 2013 estimated a new leisure centre would cost around £40 million.

“The authority points out councils have nothing like the available funds so a partnership with the private sector is the only way such a scheme could be delivered.”

The council set up a cross-party project board to develop the brief and oversee the scheme.

The project board chairman Councillor Geoffrey Bowden said: “Staff are doing a brilliant job at the current leisure centre.

“It’s been much improved but, with mounting maintenance costs, it really needs replacing with an up-to-date facility.

“We’re certain that a new leisure centre would be much more popular, be easier to maintain and so cost taxpayers a lot less to run.

One of the artist's impressions of the previous Karis scheme for the King Alfred site in Hove
One of the artist’s impressions of the previous Karis scheme for the King Alfred site in Hove

“There is nowhere near enough council money to buy a leisure centre outright so an enabling development and a private partner is the only option.

“But we need to make sure it’s an appropriate development for the site. Local people will be consulted to make sure their views are accommodated as part of the process.”

Last year the council’s Policy and Resources Committee agreed that the mix of facilities should include a swimming pool, teaching pool and children’s pool, a badminton hall with six courts, a bowls rink, a 70-piece gym, a workout studio and 180 parking spaces.

Last November people representing 29 teams attended a developers’ day with the council to discuss possibilities for the site.

A tendering notice alerting developers has been issued and should shortly appear in the OJEU – the usual place where councils advertise tenders for major projects under European rules.

An advert has been placed in Estates Gazette , the UK’s main property sector journal, for the end of this week.

Interested companies are invited to fill in a pre-qualification questionnaire. Copies are available from KALC@deloitte.co.uk or by calling 020 7007 6607.

The deadline for submissions is Monday 10 November.

The council said: “Up to five firms will then be invited for more talks and will need to demonstrate their experience handling such projects.

“A shortlist of companies invited to tender will be issued in April 2015.

“They will be required to show designs for a leisure centre and enabling development, prove its financial viability and demonstrate how the scheme would secure planning permission and be delivered.

“It is hoped to select a preferred developer in summer 2015.”

Members of the cross-party King Alfred Project Board are Councillor Bowden, Councillor Andrew Wealls, Councillor Warren Morgan and the executive director of the Brighton and Hove Economic Partnership Tony Mernagh.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Hedges to go at King Alfred as demolition prep-work continues

Four surgeries set to move into new medical centre

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Café can become gym after plans approved

Developers invited to put up plans for King Alfred in Hove

Restored cast iron returns to Madeira Terrace for reassembly

Man found dead in house this morning

Greengrocer leaves market over plans to reduce opening hours

Brutal rapist targeted woman he met on night out in Brighton

Mugger wanted after robbery in Brighton street

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Cabaret Voltaire announce live album ahead of final Sussex concert

Cabaret Voltaire announce live album ahead of final Sussex concert

18 February 2026
Vent 414 supergroup announce a return

Vent 414 supergroup announce a return

18 February 2026
Industrial tribal experimental duo Dame Area heading to Brighton

Industrial tribal experimental duo Dame Area heading to Brighton

18 February 2026
Tickets for 60th Brighton Festival go on sale tomorrow

Tickets for 60th Brighton Festival go on sale tomorrow

18 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
October 2014
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
  • Man dies in crash this afternoon 16 February 2026
  • Elections back on across Sussex after government U-turn 16 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News