• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Case against Ecostream protester collapses because Nazi jibe was too general

by Jo Wadsworth
Friday 17 Apr, 2015 at 8:22AM
A A
4
Case against Ecostream protester collapses because Nazi jibe was too general

Opposing sides in a different Ecostream protest. Picture by Camilo Jeremias on Flickr

The case against a protester accused of racially harassing a Jewish woman has collapsed – after last-minute video evidence showed his Nazi jibe was shouted at the crowd, not just her.

Opposing sides in a different Ecostream protest. Picture by Camilo Jeremias on Flickr
Opposing sides in a different Ecostream protest. Picture by Camilo Jeremias on Flickr

Palestinian Yasser Samman, 64, who now lives in Brighton, was on trial last Thursday after being arrested at a demonstration outside Ecostream in Western Road.

The eco refill store was subject to protests from pro-Palestinians over parent company SodaStream’s factory in the contested West Bank area of Israel most weekends for the two years it opened  from 2012 to 2014.

And they were often met by counter protests from Israeli supporters from the Sussex Friends of Israel, as was the case on 17 May, 2014 when the incident in question happened.

Mr Samman was accused by one of the counter protesters of calling her a “f***ing Nazi”.

But video footage introduced halfway through the trial showed that while he did indeed shout “Nazi”,  he did not single her out.

Because this contradicted the prosecution witnesses, the case was dismissed.

Speaking after the case, Mr Samman said his use of the word Nazi was not racially motivated.

He said: “There are all kinds of Zionists – it’s a political movement, not a religious one.

“If I am to say you are a Nazi, to a Zionist I’m indicating that what Zionists are doing to Palestinians is similar to what the Nazis did.”

Fiona Sharpe, co-chair of the Sussex Friends of Israel, said: “The word Nazi was used, and that was never denied. It certainly felt at the time for the person who was the key witness that she was being called a Nazi.

“It’s an incredibly emotive word. Context is everything and when using the word Nazi to a group of Jewish peeople, it’s an offensive term.”

CPS South East Chief Crown Prosecutor Jaswant Narwal said: “The CPS keeps all its cases under ongoing review and we are satisfied that, in this particular case, with the material available to us at the time, that there was enough evidence to provide a realistic prospect of conviction.

“This only changed when video footage of the incident was produced for the first time in the middle of the trial, which is highly unusual.

“This contradicted the evidence of prosecution witnesses and the district judge dismissed the case as a result.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 4

  1. Ann Hallam says:
    11 years ago

    Actually the case collapsed because the evidence from the two witnesses from Sussex Friends of Israel was proven to be false by video evidence that contradicted their statements from first to last – and that included the cctv footage from the shop itself which had been freely available to the prosecution had they bothered to look at it. Draw your own conclusions!

    Reply
  2. Blake Morton says:
    11 years ago

    A small but significant correction: In your report you say that SodaStream’s factory is in the ‘contested West Bank area of Israel’. The West Bank may be contested, but it certainly isn’t in Israel, though this isn’t for lack of trying on Israel’s part to colonise and annex it, in violation of international law. The West Bank is part of occupied Palestine. The British public are already misinformed by the mainstream media on this issue – please don’t perpetuate it.

    Reply
  3. roy pennington says:
    11 years ago

    any chance of seeing the video and/or cctv? or the link to it? at least this report states the words used “fucking nazi” : other reports elsewhere about racially offensive language often just states it was offensive……

    Reply
  4. Elliot says:
    11 years ago

    @blake perpetuates the myth that the country of Palestine actually exists. It NEVER has. There is no occupation and the land has NEVER been owned by Palestinians

    The area is legally termed disputed until these immigrant Palestinian Arabs fulfil UN resolution 242 and the Oslo accords of 1993-95

    Blake. When Jordan ruled this disputed area between 1948 and 1967 and ethnically cleansed all Jews and destroyed all synagogues and denied Christians acres to thier holy sites why was Jerusalem not made a Palestinians capital. In fact why was Palestine not proclaimed a state?

    Why have these immigrant Arabs been REJECTING their independent state since the British Peele commission of 1937

    Rejected in 1937 1947 1956 1967 2000 2001 2005 2008 to the present day

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Case against Ecostream protester collapses because Nazi jibe was too general

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Conservation charity urges companies to use native wildflowers in displays

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Grieving parents concerned as maternity services told to improve again

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
April 2015
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  
« Mar   May »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News