• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton family told to move ‘dangerous’ flowerpots after 20 years

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 7 May, 2015 at 12:44PM
A A
9
Brighton family told to move ‘dangerous’ flowerpots after 20 years

A Brighton family has been told to move flowerpots which have sat outside their home for more than 20 years because they’re “dangerous”.

flowerpots1Hollie Paige Mather and her father Stuart put the flowers out when they first moved into the maisonette in Milton Road in 1995.

But last week, property managers Pepperfox wrote to them telling them they must be moved by May 12.

And if they’re still there after that, Pepperfox says they will move the pots themselves and charge the Mathers the removal costs.

Hollie said: “They’ve threatened to take the plants as they’re dangerous. 

“We’re living in a maisonette and Pepperfox are the property management that manage the property on behalf of the freeholders, our landlords.

“To be honest I have to laugh otherwise I’d get angry! My dad worked so hard on those and is so proud of how pretty it is outside now.

“He’s my full time carer so the plants are his de-stressing method.”

The pots sit alongside and in line with black recycling boxes which are not deemed to be a problem, and which are also left out by every other house in the street.

Hollie says the council told her there was no problem with them being left on the pavement, which belongs to the council and not Pepperfox, and if removed, it could technically be treated as theft.

A spokeswoman for Pepperfox declined to comment.

Hat-tip: Nanny Knows Best

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 9

  1. Tabitha says:
    11 years ago

    This is absolutely ridiculous. Putting plants outside front doors is an excellent Brighton tradition, you see it all over the town. It is one of the most things that makes the city look so attractive. Putting plants outside your house is also an act of generosity as it improves the environment for everyone, encourages bees and butterflies, and cheers people up. It should be strongly encouraged.

    The idea that these plants have suddenly become ‘dangerous’ overnight after 20 years is laughable. The property manager must be a complete philistine. If the council does not see the plants as a problem, I think the family should be able to get support from their local councillor.

    I would like to offer my support personally to the family, whether this means writing to the council, stopping the landlord stealing the plants, or storing the plants until the matter is resolved sensibly. I can be contacted on the email I put on this form.

    Reply
  2. Charlotte says:
    11 years ago

    What a complete and utter load of rubbish! I’d much rather walk past a house with a load of beautiful flowers outside than live in a concrete jungle.
    Good on you Hollie and Stuart for fighting them – don’t let the bullies grind you down and all that! 😉

    Reply
  3. Abbey Rolls says:
    11 years ago

    What an absolute joke! On what grounds have Pepperfox deemed them dangerous? The pavement belongs to the council. That’s like me telling someone to move their car from outside my house because “I own that space”.

    Someone obviously has a power trip issue. Are they aware some of these plants are memorial plants? It’s not like they’re growing something illegal, it’s a bunch of flowers to help Stuart relax and make passers by smile! Not only are they lovely to look at, it’s a hobby that has taken many years of effort to build up.

    Take note of the comments by the general public and the council Pepperfox.

    Reply
  4. Daisy says:
    11 years ago

    Flowers are beautiful, precious pieces of life! They are offering peace for a man who is obviously taking excellent care of them and is proud of work and effort he’s put in to make sure there is some extra colour and life to house and the entire street.

    Getting rid of them is ridiculously stupid, unnecessary and cruel. They are not harming anyone or getting in the way of anyone. They are in fact helping the overall environment.

    Don’t be stupid Pepperfox! What did the flowers ever do to you?

    Reply
  5. Concerned Neighbour of Milton Road says:
    11 years ago

    This makes me laugh really because these flowerpots haven’t been in this spot for 20 years. At the beginning of the year the property had scaffolding put up to have work done on the top flat. After this was done it was all painted newly white but these flowers were & have been for all these years at the front of the property on Elm Grove, under the bay window. They were only moved because of the building work that was going on.
    When they were in bloom they are lovely & everyone can see them when going up & down on the buses & the pedestrians walking past would always comment & say how pretty they were. Why doesn’t Mr. Mather put them back where they originally were as it now looks horrible & bare. Plus the fact, if they stay on the pavement they are going to get vandalised by kids & dogs & foxes wetting up against them.
    I would prefer to see them back In their ORIGINAL place , that way people with double buggies or a wheelchair can then get past on the pavement.

    Reply
  6. Pepper Fox says:
    11 years ago

    Pepper Fox had no idea this matter would become such an issue. We have seen the article on Brighton and Hove News which we confirm is not factually correct.
    It has not been stated by any Pepper Fox employee that the plant pots were dangerous and nor was it suggested that these would be removed.

    As managing agents, we have to adhere to certain legislation and guidelines. We certainly do not intend to cause upset, however, with Health and Safety being such a dominant feature in our workplace for rules and regulations, we have no choice but to send out these sorts of letters to avoid the repercussions that we would face.

    Whilst we don’t disagree that the plants look lovely and have obviously had much care on them, we would confirm that the area the plant pots are stored is a public footpath and therefore neither our client nor the blocks land. It has been advised to us that the council provided permission for A plant pot, however there are over approximately 15 in situ and therefore could cause serious Health & Safety complications.

    In order to bring our comments to a close, due to the area in question falling to the ownership of the council we are awaiting their comments. We are merely acting in the best interests of our client, the residents and the general public.

    Reply
  7. Hollie Mather says:
    11 years ago

    To concerned neighbour of Milton Court-

    Totally understand where you’re coming from however they were moved from the front as they were constantly getting stolen, vandalised and were not getting enough sun in the summer months. I actually use a wheelchair on occasion and hate no trouble getting past them! If anything they are safer here outside our kitchen window and make the street look a lot cleaner as it covers up the weeds and filth. We are considering putting more outside the front when we know it’s the right time of year.

    Reply
  8. Pepper Fox says:
    11 years ago

    We appreciate everyone’s feelings on this and understand where you are coming from and we would like to update on the situation. We have spoken with the Council who have advised that no such permission has been granted for these plant pots and nor is it likely to be. With regards to the comments on the recycling boxes, to confirm that these must be stored in an allocated cupboard within the building or in individual flats until the morning of collection due to the same health and safety reasons we have to adhere by.

    Reply
  9. Lee Farmer says:
    9 years ago

    I live in a small block of 5 flats in Kemptown that is managed by Pepper Fox.
    I’ve always found them to a professional outfit and very willing to assist in a prompt and courteous manner.
    They were also especially quick and efficient when we recently had an emergency flood and needed them to respond instantly.
    I would have no hesitation in recommending Pepper Fox as a property management agent.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Brighton family told to move ‘dangerous’ flowerpots after 20 years

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Lewes line to reopen next month

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
May 2015
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Apr   Jun »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News