• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Rugby boss plagued by unauthorised traveller camps slams council

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 20 Oct, 2015 at 12:28PM
A A
1
Rugby boss plagued by unauthorised traveller camps slams council

Travellers on Waterhall. Picture by BHEAG

The manager of a rugby club which hires Brighton playing fields regularly camped on by travellers says he’s had next to no contact with the council team responsible for moving them on.

Travellers on Waterhall. Picture by BHEAG
Travellers on Waterhall. Picture by BHEAG

Jason Tams, commercial manager of Brighton Blues, says that other than a handshake and one returned phonecall, he had no contact with the council’s traveller liaison team since the encampment pitched up  at Waterhall on Wednesday, October 7.

And he only found out they were going to court for an eviction after a parent planning to sell cakes at a rugby festival last Sunday contacted them, then passed the news onto him.

Mr Tams said: “We’re paying for a traveller liaison team whose main concern is the welfare of the travellers – where my support group? This is my fourth season at Waterhall and it’s the biggest problem I have, dealing with the negative side of the travellers.

“They came up the day after the camp arrived and met with the sergeant and me. They shook me by the hand and didn’t say a word after that to me.

“I called after that and they did return my call to say they’re being moved off today and claiming I would no longer be affected – but they were only moved to the car park, which does still affect me.”

Before it was moved on last Wednesday, Mr Tams was afraid the camp would mean he would have to cancel the Brighton Rugby Minis Festival, which is attended by up to 1,500 people.

The camp first set up on the playing fields, and then moved to the car park – but even with the pitches free, the event could not go ahead without adequate parking, which would have put the club at a huge financial loss, and unable to pay to hire the field in the first place.

As well as employ a security team to keep them marquees needed for the event safe, he also had to cancel a couple of training sessions as the fields needed to be scrupulously cleaned to avoid injury to players.

Mr Tams said: “Last year, when we had the same problems with the festival, the traveller liaison team were saying there’s no impact on you guys. It’s disquieting that they think there’s no impact on our club.”

A council spokeswoman said: “The unauthorised encampment at Waterhall has left. Our traveller liaison team works across the city and is often out and about in different locations.

“To keep the public informed members of the team regularly update the telephone line and website, as well as informing people through face to face visits.

“The team also responds to emails as soon as information is available and contacted Mr Tamms about the eviction and ending of the encampment.”

The travellers have now left Waterhall. Current unauthorised encampments are at Hangleton Bottom, Manor Hill and Wild Park.

 

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. martin lawrence says:
    11 years ago

    The claim that the TLO’s respond to emails is not true The boss has responded a few times positively, but the TLO’S can however circulate e-mailed reports out in minutes, I have been a victim of this and it wasn’t as a response to myself , it was to a third -party totally unnecessarily notified of my report. I did receive an apology when i questioned it and confirmed I’d sought legal clarification on taking photographs in a public place, following the threat of legal action by that third party that when challenged went very quiet

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Rugby boss plagued by unauthorised traveller camps slams council

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
October 2015
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News