5 things that might surprise you as Brighton & Hove Albion prepare to take on Burton Albion at the Amex
The Seagulls take on the Brewers at the Amex tomorrow (Saturday 11 February) at 3pm. Here are some almost interesting facts.
1) Albion (Brighton and Hove) signed Seagulls legend Peter Ward from Burton in 1974. Wardy was working at the Rolls-Royce factory in Derby and playing part-time. He allegedly took a pay cut to become a professional with Brighton and Hove Albion. Just imagine that.
2) The Seagulls haven’t played at home to another team called Albion since 1993 when West Brom lost 3-1 at the Goldstone.
3) Burton have never played in Brighton or Hove before. Although they have previously visited Sussex to play at Crawley.
4) Burton boss Nigel Clough once sat in the dugout at the Goldstone as a seven-year-old boy. His father Brian was briefly the Brighton and Hove Albion manager in the mid 1970s.
5) It will be 20 years and three days since the original Fans United at the Goldstone back in February 1997. The Seagulls were bottom of the entire Football League in those days. Tomorrow, if they win, they will go back to the top of the Championship. For a couple of hours at least.