Bonfire warning after backyard blaze in Hove

Posted On 23 Aug 2017 at 11:51 am

Fire safety chiefs have issued a warning about bonfires after a backyard blaze in Hove yesterday evening (Tuesday 22 August).

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said that it sent firefighters from Hove to Burwash Road, in Hangleton, shortly before 6.30pm.

The fire service said: “They used one hose reel jet to tackle a bonfire.

“A Home Safety Visit was carried out at the property.”

Two hours later fire crews in Hastings were dealing with an out-of-control bonfire in Ore.

The fire service said: “East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service is urging people to take care when having a bonfire following two incidents.

“Fire can spread easily, so where and how you build your bonfire is important.

“Warn your neighbours beforehand – they are much less likely to complain.

“Light the bonfire at a time least likely to affect your neighbours – eg, not on a warm day when people will be in their garden.

“Only burn dry material not damp, which causes more smoke.

“Build the bonfire away from sheds, fences and trees.

“Check there are no cables – like telephone wires – above the bonfire.

“Don’t use petrol or paraffin to get the fire going – it may get out of control quickly.

“Once the bonfire is lit, make sure you keep a bucket of water or a garden hose near by in case of emergencies.

“Don’t leave the bonfire unattended. Keep children and pets away from the bonfire.

“Don’t burn aerosols, tyres, canisters or anything containing foam or paint. Many produce toxic fumes and some containers may explode, causing injury.

“Once the bonfire has died down, spray the embers with water to stop it reigniting.

“You can get rid of your garden waste without making a bonfire. Most garden waste, like grass cuttings and leaves, can be recycled by composting.

“It is an offence to get rid of domestic waste in a way likely to cause pollution or harm to human health, including burning it.

“Burning plastic, rubber or painted materials creates poisonous fumes and can have damaging health effects for people who have asthmatic or heart conditions.

“This is covered under the Environmental Protection Act 1990.”

Fire crews from Brighton and Hove were sent to two other callouts in the early hours of this morning. The first, at 12.20am, was a false alarm in Sackville Road, Hove.

But just before 2.30am three fire engines were sent to Wellington Road, Portslade, after a fire in a fast food kiosk was reported. Firefighters used one hose reel jet to tackle the fire.

Leave a Reply


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.