• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Man jailed for running sex ring which used Brighton hotel

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 26 Oct, 2017 at 7:50PM
A A
0
Man jailed for running sex ring which used Brighton hotel

Hong Chin

A man has been jailed for running a sex ring which trafficked 19 women and prostituted them from a number of hotels, including one in Brighton.

Hong Chin, 45, was given a four-year prison sentence at the Central Criminal Court – better known as the Old Bailey – in London today (Thursday 26 October).

Hong Chin

Hong Chin, who comes from Malaysia, was found guilty earlier this month along with two Chinese women – his partner and former partner – after a trial at the Old Bailey which started in August.

The two women, Li Wei Gao, 44, and Tingli Lu, 47, are due to be sentenced on Friday 3 November.

Judge Philip Katz imposed a slavery and trafficking prevention order on Hong Chin, who also ran a dog- breeding business and was described as working for a takeaway restaurant.

The slavery and trafficking prevention order means that he is not allowed to hold a passport or identity document in anyone else’s name, other than relatives.

It also forbids him from arranging travel or booking hotel rooms for anyone other than members of his family.

Hong Chin, of Newton Wood Road, Ashtead, Surrey, is expected to spend two years in prison and to serve two years out on licence.

Sussex Police said that 19 victims, all from South East Asia, were identified as being exploited at various hotels, mostly across the south east of England, from 2013 to 2015.

The force said: “Sussex Police first became aware of the illicit operation in February 2015 after one of the women reported being debt bonded, which led to extensive inquiries being carried out.

“Four people were arrested in connection with the investigation on (Wednesday) 10 June 2015 and later charged.”

One of them, Wing Yeun, a 41-year-old taxi driver from Hong Kong, of Palace Square, London, was found not guilty of all the charges against him.

Lin Wei Gao

Hong Chin, who also had an address in Dunstall, Burton upon Trent, was convicted of conspiring to control prostitution for gain and conspiring to traffic people for sexual exploitation.

Li Wei Gao, unemployed, of Portsmouth Road, Esher, Surrey, or Heathside, Oxshott, and Tingli Lu, a beautician, of Somers Road, Southsea, Hampshire, were charged with conspiring with Hong Chin to commit the same offences.

The gang used false details to reserve rooms at hotels, including Holiday Inn, Premier Inn and Travelodge, through the website Booking.com, with more than 90 reservations made over 18 months.

Detective Inspector Andy Richardson said: “I’m delighted with the sentence and I’m delighted we were successful in our application for a slavery and trafficking prevention order against Chin, which will stop him exploiting vulnerable women again.

“It also sends out a clear message that this sort of activity will not be tolerated and that anyone caught doing so will be dealt with robustly.

Tingli Lu

“This has been a complex and lengthy investigation where vulnerable women were trafficked into the UK for the purposes of prostitution.

“Often the women were moved to different towns around the south east where hotel rooms were booked for them and then they were told who they would be seeing and what services they had to offer. They had no say in any of this.

“Each of the defendants vehemently denied the offences. However, through exploring their movements, their finances and their lifestyle arrangements we were able to provide key evidence to the prosecution.

“We were able to show the hundreds of hotel and adult website bookings the defendants made and recovered numerous mobile telephones, SIM cards and hotel room keys as well as other key evidence in searches.

“This was effectively a well organised and structured business which made the defendants thousands of pounds, as was seen from their bank accounts.

“Over the course of the investigation officers spoke to a number of women with their safety and welfare at the forefront of our minds.

“Each of the women we spoke to were offered support and protection.

“Our case was also supported by the strength of the account given by one of the victims who bravely gave evidence at the trial and I am grateful for her co-operation.


“These convictions are a really positive result for Sussex Police, for the victims involved and for all communities to show that human trafficking is not acceptable and will not be tolerated.

“Working with partner agencies, we are committed to preventing and detecting human trafficking, and protecting vulnerable victims.

“We will continue to investigate all reports of human trafficking to bring offenders to justice.

“We would also encourage any other victims of human trafficking to report it to us online or call 101, or in an emergency call 999. We are here to help and support you.”

All the women have returned to their home countries apart from one who gave evidence during the trial.

Kevin Thomson, from the Crown Prosecution Service, said: “This was an organised operation designed to traffic women into prostitution, as shown by the variety of bank accounts used to run it and the sheer amount of funds it generated.

“These elements helped to provide compelling evidence of what these defendants were doing.

“The gang exploited vulnerable women, putting them to work in situations which exposed them to serious potential risks.

“Once the women were caught up in the prostitution ring, it was invariably almost impossible for them to escape the life they had been forced into.

“All the time, they were then earning what turned out to be huge sums of money for the defendants who were responsible for running the operation without any regard for the women’s wellbeing.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Man jailed for running sex ring which used Brighton hotel

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
October 2017
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News