• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Moulsecoomb parents see off another school sponsor – but more are lined up

by Jo Wadsworth
Friday 4 Oct, 2019 at 2:13PM
A A
0
March for Moulsecoomb Primary stops traffic

March for Moulsecoomb by local head and NAHT member Hildi Mitchell

A child holding a banner at the March for Moulsecoomb. Picture by local head and NAHT member Hildi Mitchell

Campaigners against the academisation of Moulsecoomb Primary School have seen off another potential school sponsor after the Step Trust announced it was no longer in the running.

Parents waved banners and gave out leaflets when Step Academy Trust chief executive Mark Ducker and director of teaching Tim Mills visited last month.

The Hands Off Moulsecoomb campaign is opposing the academy order imposed on the school by the government following an Ofsted inspection which rated the school inadequate, which means the school would leave local authority control and be taken over by a private trust.

Since then, the school’s latest SATS results have shown a significant improvement and campaigners and Brighton and Hove City Council are requesting a re-inspection.

Meanwhile, the University of Brighton turned down an approach from the government to potentially sponsor the school – and now Step Trust has also ruled itself out.

However, it did say there are other potential sponsors which could take over the school.

A spokeswoman for Step Trust said: “Following our visit to Moulsecoomb Primary School last week, we are of a similar view to the Regional Schools Commissioner; that a significant amount of immediate support is required in order for the school to improve.

Our mission at STEP Academy Trust is to improve the life chances of all children. Where we have the capacity to make a difference, we are morally bound to do so.

“However, after due consideration, we feel that there are other potential sponsors that are better placed, at this time, to support the staff and children of Moulsecoomb. We have, therefore, notified the RSC that STEP is withdrawing from the process of identifying an academy partner.

“We would like to thank the head teacher, chair of governors, staff and children of Moulsecoomb Primary School, for the very warm welcome we were given last week and wish them well for the future.”

Moulsecoomb councillor Dan Yates said: “Since the arrival of its new headteacher and with strong support from local parents teachers and governors the school has begun the process of improving the outcomes of its students.

“We will know on Monday the results of the parental ballot and that will hopefully send a strong message from parents that they want to continue that journey alongside the local authority rather than under the control and influence of a distant academy chain.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Moulsecoomb parents see off another school sponsor – but more are lined up

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
October 2019
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News