• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Verdict due today on 50-metre swimming pool planned for Brighton seafront

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 10 Mar, 2021 at 1:18PM
A A
0
Brighton open air swimming pool moves closer with grant of 150-year seafront lease

An artist’s impression of the Sea Lanes pool from Madeira Drive

Councillors are due to decide today whether a 50-metre swimming pool can be built on Brighton seafront.

Officials have given their backing to the scheme, with councillors already having voted to allow Sea Lanes to build a 25m pool on the beach in Madeira Drive.

Now the firm wants to build an Olympic-length outdoor pool instead by Peter Pan’s Playground – next to the Yellowave beach sports centre.

The verdict is due less than a week after council officials signed off amended plans for a high rope climbing course and raised café seating area on the other side of Yellowave.

Plans for the 52ft (16m) high rope structure were submitted by the Scottish operator Jungle Rumble Adventure Golf.

The newly approved plans include extending the café’s roof terrace over the Volk’s Electric Railway line by the Halfway Station.

Sea Lanes Brighton said that its scheme would create a heated 50m National Open Water Swimming Centre that would “transform Madeira Drive”.

The company said: “Sea Lanes Brighton hopes to create the UK’s first national open water swimming centre of excellence.

“Included in this will be a heated 50m outdoor swimming pool and associated facilities, endless pool training facilities and improved access to the sea.

“This will be supported with commercial buildings providing flexible space for local, independent businesses.

“The latest planning application plans to be considered include

  • Permanent 50m swimming pool
  • Ten-year consent to enabling small business units
  • Improved views through to the beach

…

The company said: “The new development will bring around 100 new job roles to Brighton in both the swimming pool and small business units.”

The pop-up bar at the Sea Lanes site

Sea Lanes Brighton director Joe McNulty said: “We are pleased that the planning officers have recommended that our application be approved.

“We cannot wait to be given the go ahead so that we can start the build work in the autumn and opening in spring 2022.

“The support we have had from the local community has been overwhelming and in the current climate we are hoping to be able to offer the Brighton community not only better swimming facilities but the opportunity for jobs and security.”

Sea Lanes Brighton was previously granted planning permission for a 25m swimming pool and 39 small business units.

But the firm said: “The success of a pop-up on the site has enabled the plans to create the National Open Water Swimming Centre to be accelerated.

“If the planning application is approved, construction will begin in November with the 50m swimming pool set to open to the public in spring 2022.

“The pop-up will continue throughout 2021 until the new build begins.”

The high ropes course planned for the site to the east of Sea Lanes in Madeira Drive in Brighton

Brighton and Hove City Council said in a report to the Planning Committee: “The proposed permanent larger outdoor swimming pool broadly fits the emerging seafront strategy and priorities for the seafront and the ‘site specific’ allocation.”

The council added: “The proposed uses would positively support the regeneration of this section of the seafront.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Verdict due today on 50-metre swimming pool planned for Brighton seafront

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Firefighters put out blaze on boat at Marina

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Voters to quiz by-election candidates at hustings

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
March 2021
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News