• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Schools hit back at fake claims children are banned from saying mum and dad

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 22 Feb, 2022 at 8:37PM
A A
16
Schools hit back at fake claims children are banned from saying mum and dad

Elm Grove Primary School

Elm Grove Primary School

The city’s schools have hit back at false claims they have banned children from saying mum and dad.

Both national and local titles ran headlines with the untrue claim, based on quotes from unnamed parents published on Friday.

The fake claims were further shared by one Conservative councillor on social media – even after exasperated parents told him it was untrue.

One school told parents it had been forced to field angry calls from members of the public – but said none of these were from parents.

Finally, on Tuesday evening, Brighton and Hove City Council released a statement confirming the claims were untrue.

The stories quoted policies found on the websites of four schools, St Luke’s Primary, Elm Grove, Carlton Hill and Saltdean Primary.

But all these made it clear they were referring to situations where teachers were addressing or talking about large groups of parents and carers rather than an individual child’s mum or dad.

The council statement said: “Recent reports claiming four Brighton schools are not allowing the words ‘mum’ and ‘dad’ to be used are untrue.

“These are the facts:

• The words ‘mum’ and ‘dad’ are still used for children who have a mum and dad, and this hasn’t and won’t change.

• For instance, a teacher/staff member speaking to a pupil who they know has a mum and dad would say to a pupil, ‘tell your mum and dad…’.

• However, not all children have a mum and dad. So, if a child has two mums, two dads, are looked after by their grandparents, foster carers or has a single parent (a mum or a dad), then the appropriate term will be used.

• If a teacher/staff member isn’t sure of the child’s family situation, then ‘grown-up’ would be used.

• If a teacher is talking to the whole class, or a group of pupils, they will use the more general terms ‘tell your grown-ups’ or ‘tell your parents and carers’ as it’s possible not everyone in the group will have a ‘mum’ and a ‘dad’.

“As most parents and carers will know, this approach and use of ‘parents and carers’ has been used in schools throughout England – not just in Brighton & Hove – for many years to ensure schools’ staff are addressing children’s very differing family situations sensitively.”

Councillor Robert Nemeth shared one headline which falsely stated children had been banned from saying mum and dad on Facebook on Monday.

After parents told him this claim was completely untrue, he said he would not be taking it down, adding: “I trust people to interpret the article in a mature way and take from it what they will.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 16

  1. Martin says:
    4 years ago

    The Conservatives should hang their heads in shame for spreading fake news like this. Desperate virtue signalling from them as always.

    Reply
    • Chaz. says:
      4 years ago

      Shame on you Martin for not checking the facts and just reading a Green press release.

      This article has been running for 5 days in the National press. All of the schools said the same in the article
      ‘We try to talk about our “grownups” rather than our “mums and dads” to acknowledge the different family groupings our pupils live in.’

      Nothing about if X say Y and if Z say A as in the “clarification” today.
      This further muddies the water by saying the below.
      “• If a teacher is talking to the whole class, or a group of pupils, they will use the more general terms ‘tell your grown-ups’ or ‘tell your parents and carers’ as it’s possible not everyone in the group will have a ‘mum’ and a ‘dad’.”

      In other words, they won’t be saying mum and dad.
      The schools in the Green voting areas were being woke for woke sake.
      In fairness, they even caught out their Green council mothership who are fighting a rearguard action in between planning more cycle lanes.

      Reply
      • Jo Wadsworth says:
        4 years ago

        Chaz, my children go to one of these schools. The policies have been selectively quoted or their meaning simply ignored to claim that children are being banned from saying mum and dad. They aren’t.

        Please stop lying about my children.

        Reply
        • Dave says:
          4 years ago

          These schools actually have unofficially banned the use of male and female pronouns also.
          It’s they or them instead of he or she. We don’t live in Canada so cut out the woke dribble, it’s a dispicable use of a privalidged position as educators to force your politics on children.
          Isn’t that what we banned back in the 1950s with how religious groups ran schools, no differece at all here, cultist behaviour.

          Reply
          • Tom says:
            4 years ago

            What on earth are you talking about? There is not truth in that whatsoever. What is wrong with people believing such rubbish.

        • Phoebe Barrera says:
          4 years ago

          Hi Jo – is this article an unbiased analysis of the situation, or is it your opinion as a parent?

          Reply
          • Jo Wadsworth says:
            4 years ago

            Hi Phoebe,

            Although I am happy to be clear this story is closer to my heart than most, the article is based solely on facts.

            It is a fact that none of the schools have banned children from saying mum and dad.

            The heads have now had a letter published in The Argus – which has changed the headline on the original story – which says the council made it clear to both national and local media that this was untrue before they published.

      • Jo Wadsworth says:
        4 years ago

        If you have a problem with that, I will have no problem banning you from commenting in future

        Reply
        • Hove Guy says:
          4 years ago

          And who are you to do the banning?

          Reply
          • Jo Wadsworth says:
            4 years ago

            Hi Hove Guy,

            I am the editor, and I also co-own the company which owns this website and pays for its running.

            Is that enough?

          • Phoebe Barrera says:
            4 years ago

            Sounds like Jo thinks herself another Rupert Murdoch or Rebekah Brooks and she decides what she wants thinks is truth, push her opinions, and is entitled to surpress those she disagrees with.

            Can’t work out whether this is “cancel culture”, “wokism”, or “megalomania” 😉

            Let’s hope journalists who support freedom of expression, and open discussion without censorship from editors take their work elsewhere.

  2. Big Mouth says:
    4 years ago

    Disgusting, but perhaps unsurprising, to see a Conservative councillor is unrepentant about spreading false information. He is undermining the city’s schools and students and showing lamentable contempt for all the hard work they do. He should withdraw or correct his comments at the very least.

    Reply
  3. Dom says:
    4 years ago

    He’s still using the usual doublespeak to deny he lied and repeat the claims. Its all about energising the base ahead of local elections.

    Appalling that he brings our kids into his electioneering simply to throw red meat to the Tory base.

    Reply
  4. Car Delenda Est says:
    4 years ago

    Of course it was Nemeth..

    Reply
    • Car Delenda Est says:
      4 years ago

      Not the first time Nemeth’s lied (OSR cycle lane) and certainly not the last.

      Reply
      • Phoebe Barrera says:
        4 years ago

        How did Nemeth “lie” about the OSR cycle lane?

        Didn’t the council lie about the lack of usage by cyclists, the delays, the congestion, the increased emissions, and the negative effect on local businesses?

        Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Schools hit back at fake claims children are banned from saying mum and dad

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Load More
February 2022
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28  
« Jan   Mar »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Drug line controller jailed for seven years 23 August 2026
  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News