• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Teacher at top school harassed female colleagues, panel hears

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 3 Apr, 2024 at 6:44PM
A A
7
Four new Brighton buildings shortlisted for prestigious architecture prize

Brighton College entrance tower – Picture by Will Pryce

A teacher has avoided being struck off despite harassing two female colleagues at Brighton College.

Raphael Ruz looked up both women’s addresses on the school database to send them flowers and hand-delivered letters, as well as bombarding them with emails and texts.

But despite ruling that he had harassed them both, a Teaching Regulation Agency panel said that as he hadn’t meant any harm, he should not be banned from teaching.

The first woman, known as Colleague A, first met Mr Ruz in July 2017. In September, she was sent flowers by an unknown sender, which Mr Ruz later claimed to have sent.

In September that year, she took part in a school sea swimming event, at which Mr Ruz took pictures for the school.

He later sent pictures he had taken of her, with the comment “nice”. However, the panel said it believed Mr Ruz when he said this was done in friendship with no malicious intent.

The woman later sent Mr Ruz a text saying: “I’ve e got to be really blunt about this, but this has to stop. Text messages, letters at work, photos of me when I’m working. Flowers to my house … I trust that you will respect this. I do not want to pursue any sort of relationship with a colleague.”

He replied saying he understood, but that he “cannot stop thinking about you”.

Five days later, he sent her an email, subject line “This awkward and embarrassing silence” about seeing her in the lunch queue, avoiding him, and imagining what their lives could be together.

She replied telling him to stop harassing her, and saying she would report him if he didn’t stop.

More emails and texts followed. At this point, the woman had only been working at Brighton College for four weeks.

The following month, Mr Ruz put a handwritten letter in her pigeonhole, saying that his heart stopped whenever he saw her, and that he believes he deserves better than to be accused of harassment.

She showed it to her line manager and said if it continued, she would make a formal complaint.

Then in November, he went into her office and told her “I can’t get you out of my head”.

The hearing summary said: “She told Mr Ruz that she was not interested and had to physically push him out of her office and lock the door. Up until this point, she stated that she thought that she could manage it alone, however, she submitted that this incident had scared her.”

The second woman had been working at the school since 2015, and told the panel she went for a drink with him in 2017 to stop him asking.

The next day, she received a postcard in her pigeonhole, and said the behaviour slowly “ramped up from there”.

In October 2020, she completed a survey on the website of the Suzy Lamplugh Trust, which supports victims of harassment and stalking, based on her experiences. It advised her to contact the police, which she did.

She told a colleague she felt Mr Ruz was contriving to “bump into” her, particularly on the beach, which led to her avoiding it. However, the panel said it believed Mr Ruz when he said this was simply coincidence.

On 11 October, he invited her to go out sailing on his boat despite her making it clear she did not want to.

The hearing summary said: “She explained how over an extended period she felt that Mr Ruz had pestered her as to possible social contact, followed her and contrived to find ways to engage with her, made inappropriate remarks, and behaved in an intimidating way.

“She explained how matters came to a head as a result of an incident that took place outside the Co-op on 13 October 2020 when she reported that Mr Ruz had been intimidating.”

During this encounter, he repeatedly told her “you have really got in my head” while banging his umbrella on the floor an dpointing at her forehead.

Two members of the public gave the woman their phone numbers unprompted in case she needed witnesses.

The following day, he went to her home address, which he had again found on the school database, to deliver a letter apologising and blaming his actions on a “strange chat” they had had in the pub three and a half years before.

When she came home and found the letter, she spent the night in a hotel.

She contacted the police on 19 October, and Mr Ruz was arrested the following day. However, the school was told on 16 January, 2021, that no further action would be taken. Mr Ruz left the college after a disciplinary hearing two months later.

In the conclusions, Teaching Regulation Agency executive Sarah Buxcey said: “There was no evidence that Mr Ruz’s actions were not deliberate although the panel did note that Mr Ruz had not deliberately intended to cause harm with his actions, in particular with regard to the harassment.

“Given that the nature and severity of the behaviour were at the less serious end of the possible spectrum and, having considered the mitigating factors that were present, the panel determined that a recommendation for a prohibition order would not be appropriate in this case.

“The panel considered that the publication of the adverse findings it had made was sufficient to send an appropriate message to the teacher as to the standards of behaviour that are not acceptable, and the publication would meet the public interest requirement of declaring proper standards of the profession.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 7

  1. Angles Morts says:
    2 years ago

    He won’t stop, mark my words. Disrespecting boundaries when a woman says no? Coercive control. In time he will just learn to hide his behaviour better and get away with more.

    Reply
  2. Sean says:
    2 years ago

    How is a person like this who allegedly goes about stalking and threatening women a fit and proper person to be a teacher?
    Clearly he can’t control himself and needs help.
    What if his next fixation is a 6th former?

    Was this an all male panel?
    More red flags than a May Day Parade…

    Reply
  3. EEx hWxHanovari says:
    2 years ago

    Unbelievably pathetic decision. He should never be allowed to teach.

    Reply
  4. kay woolner says:
    2 years ago

    So, this teachers sexual harassment of 2 women colleagues is OK, as long as its on the less significant end of the spectrum of harassment behaviours. He invaded their lives with unwanted contact, but because he didn’t molest, rape and murder either of them, he gets to keep his career and have continued access to women at work. And if he can’t take no for an answer he’s a potential nuisance and a danger to any women, or girl, at any school. He’s not fit to work with women. Should have been struck off

    Reply
  5. None says:
    2 years ago

    I went to Brighton College as a pupil. Molested by one “teacher” and beaten / molested by senior pupils. Hell hole of a place.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Former Brighton MP gives Burnham a boost

Pavement gullies for electric cars to be trialled

Teacher at top school harassed female colleagues, panel hears

Man charged with raping woman on Brighton beach

Drowned women now identified, police believe

Care provider chosen to run council’s £6m new supported living scheme

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Brighton woman charged after pro-Palestine protest in London

Labour picks candidate for Goldsmid by-election

Two men appear in court charged with murder in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Lantern Theatre, Brighton 22-23rd May 2026

Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

18 May 2026
Sound of Wunderlich, Wundabarn at Spiegelgardens 21st May 2026

The Sound Of Wunderlich Comes to Brighton Fringe

18 May 2026
SORA pop up to bring a layer of class to Malmaison

SORA pop up to bring a layer of class to Malmaison

18 May 2026
Biscuit Barrel, Brighton Fringe, Komedia Studio, 10th & 17th May 2026

A Biscuit Barrel Full Of Energy

18 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex chase impressive first innings total at Somerset

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
16 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 22-1 (5.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (4 points) by 504 runs Centuries...

Load More
April 2024
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  
« Mar   May »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
  • Smurf line drug dealer jailed 13 May 2026
  • Patti Smith: A legend returns to Brighton Dome 13 May 2026
  • Driver arrested after woman dies in crash today 12 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News