• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Councillor criticises whack-a-mole approach to missed rubbish and recycling collections

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Thursday 1 May, 2025 at 2:20AM
A A
0
Why Brighton and Hove’s new bin lorries look like being diesel-powered rather than electric

An opposition politician described the council’s approach to missed rubbish collections as “like whack-a-mole” with Conservatives and Greens planning to quiz cabinet members later this week.

Councillors spoke out as a report to Brighton and Hove City Council’s cabinet was published and said that missed collections had more than doubled from 573 late last year to 1,369 in the past three months.

The report also catalogued some of the continuing problems at Cityclean, the council’s rubbish and recycling services, including reports of a death threat to a manager and sabotage.

Labour council leader Bella Sankey vowed to get a grip on the problems besetting the bin depot after an independent external report by barrister Aileen McColgan which highlighted bullying, intimidation and violence.

And last year, GMB Sussex tweeted a threat to bring chaos in response to attempts by the council to change the culture at Cityclean.

Green councillor Ollie Sykes said that the latest report appeared to show “memory loss” after reviews by the Local Government Association in 2017 and former trade union leader Gerry Doherty in 2019 resulted in no action.

Making reference to the GMB tweets about chaos – since taken down – Councillor Sykes said: “Those tweets preceded, in a short timeframe, major issues at the depot in terms of vandalism, sabotage of a vehicle.

“Did the council leader, Bella Sankey, take advice from police, legal counsel or others about approaching the GMB? About potential criminality? And if not, why not?”

Councillor Sykes plans to ask why missed collections have increased and whether the Labour administration is in control of the situation.

Conservative deputy leader Anne Meadows said that she had received several complaints about missed rubbish collections and said that the council should be more open about the problems at Cityclean.

Councillor Meadows, who represents Patcham and Hollingbury, said: “I would suggest if the council actually admitted that poor conduct and behaviour at the depot was what was behind it, they might have more sympathy from residents.

“Unfortunately, the line they’ve been giving us is that the problems are the change from paper to digital – and most residents do not understand why that should impact on service delivery because that’s more like a back-office function.

“I did suggest if they want to have residents’ support to highlight the fact that there has been this poor behaviour which does impact on service delivery.”

Conservative leader Alistair McNair has also received many complaints from residents, particularly in Rustington Road, Hollingbury, where he said that collections had been missed for weeks.

Councillor McNair, who also represents Patcham and Hollingbury, said that nothing seems to happen until he gets involved, adding: “It’s inconsistent. It’ll be Rustington Road for a couple of weeks then another place.

“It’s like whack-a-mole. You never know where it’ll pop up next. Residents do report it but we (councillors) don’t often find out from them until it’s really bad.”

Residents have been advised to leave their bins on the kerbside for 48 hours. Councillor McNair is concerned whether collections made within the longer timeframe were counted as late.

Councillor Sankey reminded residents and colleagues that she had promised a zero-tolerance approach to bullying at Cityclean.

She said: “Our staff deserve a safe working environment free from intimidation and our residents deserve an excellent service and we will do everything necessary to deliver both.

“Because of the culture and systemic under-investment, long-standing service development issues have not been prioritised. I’m really pleased to see we’re now in a place where they can be addressed.

“Ensuring we have a waste and recycling service that keeps our city clean, tidy and accessible is an absolute priority.”

The council’s cabinet is due to consider the latest report on Cityclean on Thursday (15 May) at Hove Town Hall. The meeting is scheduled to start at 2pm and to be webcast.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Councillor criticises whack-a-mole approach to missed rubbish and recycling collections

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
May 2025
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Apr   Jun »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News