• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Councillors debate proposed change of emphasis in licensing policy

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Saturday 26 Jul, 2025 at 9:09AM
A A
3
Brighton hosts some of the booziest students in Britain

Protecting vulnerable people leaving venues, whether women or men, was at the heart of a debate about licensing policy as councillors consult the public about proposed changes.

Brighton and Hove City Council’s Licensing Committee agreed to start a consultation on a “good operator policy”, new licensing categories such as grass roots music venues and bringing in a “city safety area” (CSA) in place of the cumulative impact zone (CIZ).

The current CIZ rules mean that certain types of premises can open in the busy central area of Brighton and Hove only in exceptional circumstances – and if they don’t add to the cumulative problems resulting from having so many existing licensed premises.

Labour councillor David McGregor, who chairs the Licensing Committee, said that he had spent the past two years working on the night-time economy and the past year focusing on the licensing aspect.

Councillor McGregor said: “What we have here is a plan that works for Brighton and Hove for the next decade. I think it’s a brilliant update.

“The whole city has been struggling. We’ve lost a lot of great venues and continue to lose great venues. On the other side, there are a lot of new dangers for people on nights out.”

The focus on safety includes approaches to drink spiking including practices such as buying doubles rather than singles to get people drunk.

The safety-first approach also includes door policies that mean vulnerable people are not just ejected on to the street.

And it would mean vulnerability training to support people from the LGBTQ+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning community) and measures aimed at preventing violence against women and girls.

Councillor McGregor said that the number of sexual assaults in the past year was “abhorrent and disgusting” and needed action.

The Police UK map for Brighton and Hove showed that 66 violent and sexual offences were recorded in the area around The Lanes and West Street in May.

Labour councillor Tobias Sheard asked about training for venue staff, saying: “When we talk about these (incidents) we focus on the vast majority of victims who are women.”

With a large LGBTQ+ community, he asked, “are we asking questions of these venues? Are we making sure men who are victims have access to this as well.

“I think it’s one in six victims of rape and sex assault in the UK are men. They are men who are victims of male sexual assault. It would seem remiss of us to pride ourselves on our LGBT culture if we didn’t make sure we tackled the dark underbelly of it as well.”

Councillor McGregor said that he had been sexually assaulted by a man in the past, adding: “I understand how much people don’t take it as seriously and how we don’t talk about it. How a lot of the conversation just ignores us.

“Then there’s the next stage of talking about chem sex that sits so beyond any conversation we seem to have in the council.

“It’s a big part of training for door staff, spotting the dangers when people are leaving. Are they being coerced out? Are they vulnerable?

“I really want, as much as violence against women and girls is a key priority, it’s also trying to spot some of the men who are potentially in the same position.”

He said that one concern about existing door policies was that people could leave venues when drunk and end up falling asleep on the beach where many sexual assaults occur.

Labour councillor Julie Cattell said that she would like to see better lighting on the beach and in trees around the city centre.

Councillor McGregor said that lights under the pier would improve visibility in a place where many attacks had occurred.

Green councillor Steve Davis shared his concerns about off-sales linked with underage drinking, as the father of a 17-year-old.

Councillor Davis said: “I’ve seen what they’re like down on the beach. This summer in particular it’s been absolute carnage on the beach.

“I feel for the marshalls – and this is late afternoon and evening. I just feel overall it’s like we’re encouraging it.

“And without going down the deep sociological rabbit hole about why the UK are completely different to the Italians and the French.

“We have a culture in this country where we need a little restraint.”

Councillor Davis cited data from World Health Organisation, saying that Britain had the worst underage drinking rates out of 44 countries in northern Europe.

Councillor McGregor agreed that underage drinking was “scary” when it seemed “out of control”.

He argued that it would be better to have people in venues. What he would like to see is greater control of delivery services.

The 10-week public consultation is due to appear on Brighton and Hove City Council’s website.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 3

  1. Benjamin says:
    10 months ago

    One aspect of safety that I think is really important is having a wide distribution and confidence in the use of intranasal naloxone. It’s an extremely easy-to-administer nasal spray that counters the effects of opioid-based drugs.

    Something that struck me as silly was that when I investigated it, Sussex Police wrote back to me and said that actively don’t actively carry naloxone. Considering the likelihood of officers being first on scene to overdoses, I thought this was an easy win.

    Reply
    • Kate says:
      10 months ago

      Some police officers do carry Naloxone, this is funded by the council as the police don’t fund it themselves and not all police officers carry it as they don’t all want to! Nyoxid is great, but it is more expensive and has a shorter shelf life than naloxone – which the police won’t carry. This is really worrying given the massive rise in synthetic opioids in all ‘recreational’ drugs including substances that didn’t historically have any contamination by opiates.

      Reply
  2. ROBERT PATTINSON says:
    10 months ago

    A big problem in our city are late night shops that sell alcohol around the clock. Shops should stop serving alcohol at 11pm. Any pub, club etc open after 11pm should have security. Venues are not the big issue as security control the customers.
    As for our streets they can’t be made to be safe if the Police are not visible.
    I have also noticed a lot of school kids drinking spirits neat quite drunk around Hove lawns area being quite aggressive to people in the area. If police were about they could stop this.
    Its pointless just targeting venues selling alcohol when the real reason people are getting really drunk is the late shops.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Man charged with raping woman on Brighton beach

Developer plans 12-storey block of co-living flats

Two men appear in court charged with murder in Brighton

Councillors debate proposed change of emphasis in licensing policy

Care provider chosen to run council’s £6m new supported living scheme

Brighton woman charged after pro-Palestine protest in London

Controversial plaque commemorating slave owner removed

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

Labour councillor on track to become youngest mayor

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Top 5 music performances during this year’s Official and Unofficial ‘Escapes’

Top 5 music performances during this year’s Official and Unofficial ‘Escapes’

18 May 2026
A Bank Holiday Weekend of Art, Music and Food  with Nabihah Iqbal: Imagined, Eternal

A Bank Holiday Weekend of Art, Music and Food with Nabihah Iqbal: Imagined, Eternal

18 May 2026
The Great Escape marks its 20th anniversary with triumphant celebration of new music

The Great Escape marks its 20th anniversary with triumphant celebration of new music

18 May 2026
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Lantern Theatre, Brighton 22-23rd May 2026

Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

18 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
July 2025
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Prolific shoplifter jailed after she stole goods worth £2k 18 May 2026
  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
  • Smurf line drug dealer jailed 13 May 2026
  • Patti Smith: A legend returns to Brighton Dome 13 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News