• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Double murderer sentenced to die in prison

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 6 Nov, 2025 at 12:16PM
A A
2
Brighton man found guilty of double murder

Derek Martin

Double murderer Derek Martin has been jailed for life, with a minimum term of 29 years, effectively sentencing the 67-year-old to die in prison.

Martin, of Moulsecoomb Way, Brighton, killed a couple, Chloe and Joshua Bashford, at their home in Lewes Road, Newhaven, in June 2023.

He admitted hitting Chloe, 30, over the head with a hammer and stabbing her to death before waiting for Josh, 33, to return home and then stabbing him and strangling him with a rope.

But Martin denied murder on the ground of diminished responsibility as the result of a mental disorder and went on trial at Brighton Crown Court last month.

At the end of the three-week trial, on Friday 24 October, the jury unanimously convicted Martin of murdering the husband and wife, leaving their four children orphaned.

At the same court today (Thursday 6 November), their 18-year-old son Brooklyn and several other family members shared their anguish, grief and trauma.

The trial judge Dame Justine Thornton, known as Mrs Justice Thornton, listened as some addressed the court themselves and a police officer and barrister read statements on behalf of other relatives of the couple.

Mrs Justice Thornton described their testimony as moving – and Martin, in a grey prison tracksuit, sat with his head bowed and eyes closed as the judge described his “ferocious” attack.

Martin was impassive as the judge passed sentence and she praised the police investigation and the dignity of the families throughout the harrowing case.

The sentencing remarks were filmed by the BBC. It was the first time that television cameras have been allowed to film any part of a case in a Sussex court.

The judge said: “The attacks were driven by rage and resentment … As a result of your actions, their families will suffer for the rest of their lives.”

Julian Evans, prosecuting, told the court that Martin had a number of previous convictions though none for violence and no recent convictions.

Graham Trembath, defending, said that Martin had asked him to say sorry and asked the judge to take into account Martin’s age.

Mr Trembath said: “He knows that he must spend his life – what remains of it – in prison.”

Mrs Justice Thornton said that this was the consequence of killing two people when he was in his sixties.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Lucas says:
    10 months ago

    And I hereby hope that Martin has a miserable time (whatever is left of it) being in His Majesties lodging

    Reply
  2. Betty says:
    10 months ago

    I feel for the Children and there Parents those Chidren didn’t go to school that day knowing they wouldn’t see there Mum & Dad again when they returned.
    Over Money?

    And the Police that had to go into the House once he had handed himself in-but they older Children could of returned home after School not realising the Situation they were walking into
    A very sad situation for all.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Double murderer sentenced to die in prison

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
November 2025
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News