• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton burlesque club repossessed

"There are only so many chances you can give one person. We took the property back."

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 29 Jan, 2026 at 10:03AM
A A
4
Brighton burlesque club repossessed

A struggling Brighton cabaret has been repossessed by another nightclub operator after failing to pay the rent.

The Haus of Cabaret venue in St George’s Road, previously known as the Hanbury Ballrooms, is now up for sale or rent.

Notices were pinned on the door Haus of Cabaret in St George’s Road on Monday saying the building and contents are now owned by a subsidiary of Tokyo Industries, a Manchester-based nightclub and festival company.

And because Proud Galleries Brighton Ltd, which runs the venue, had failed to pay rent, Tokyo Industries is taking the building back.

The business is one of many owned by controversial Hove-born entrepreneur Alex Proud, who also once ran Stanmer House. Another of his companies, West End Galleries, has been ordered to pay thousands of pounds in unpaid wages to four employees by employment tribunals in the last few weeks.

A spokesman for Tokyo Industries said: “Tokyo Industries took security over the property at 83 Georges Road in Brighton last summer following a defaulted debt relating to Alex Proud’s London businesses.

“Following further defaults later last year to Barclays PLC and ourselves, we were pressured to purchase the property to resolve the Barclays default.

“This moved Proud Galleries Brighton Ltd to a lease position which has also now defaulted on its rent.

“There are only so many chances you can give one person. We took the property back on Monday.

“The property for the moment is closed while we look for alternative interest in leasing or purchasing the property.

“Any parties interested in the property should contact info@tokyoindustries.com.

“Any person having purchased tickets for upcoming events should contact the ticket outlet or their credit card provider for a refund.”

Tokyo Industries is owned by Aaron Mellor. The notice posted on the door said the building and contents are now the property of another company, 83 St Georges (Brighton), which was set up in September last year as a subsidiary of Toyko Industries.

Both Mellor and Proud were founder members of the Night Time Industries Association, set up in 2017 to push back against increasing red tape from local authorities.

In 2020, the company Alex Proud set up to run Stanmer House went bust owing £287,000.

Mr Proud blamed this on a rent increase by the leaseholder, KSD Group, which now runs the venue.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 4

  1. RSummers says:
    3 weeks ago

    It’s unusual for a property owner to be so lenient. It’s just sad that Proud are serial takers of the P.
    I hope there are some established Brighton clubs that can take it over and keep it’s character.
    Bar Broadway II maybe?

    Reply
  2. Ann E Nicky says:
    3 weeks ago

    Unfortunately the overheads of this place make it unappealing as a going concern. This is despite the wonderful character and colourful history of the venue which is now in a sorry state of repair. I hope it survives the latest crisis.

    Reply
  3. Oli Beatson says:
    3 weeks ago

    This place always struck me as so gorgeous and intriguing. Clearly somebody wants to preserve its legacy and the region craves venues that can have a positive relationship with local culture. A company that is able to make use of it in the daytime, as well as for evening performances probably has the best shot of pulling together something financially sustainable. I have never been inside but looks like a similar space to the old Marlborough pub theater – a cabaret-style hall that could have equal success for comedy, jazz bar, traditional theater space and music gigs.

    That said, I’ve seen this place change hands enough times you have to wonder if there’s a curse. Planning laws and grade-listing responsibilities alongside active use are likely absolute chaos for ownership of these old buildings. I’d love to know more about it.

    Reply
  4. P says:
    2 weeks ago

    Gorgeous venue, shame about the ridiculous rental cost that would put off any independent business from giving it a go

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Café can become gym after plans approved

Four surgeries set to move into new medical centre

Man arrested for perverting justice in Cityclean investigation

Brighton burlesque club repossessed

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

School building to become temporary charity hub

New mural encourages tourists into the North Laine

Hove man given ‘slavery and trafficking risk order’

Hedges to go at King Alfred as demolition prep-work continues

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Full programme announced for the 60th edition of Brighton Festival

Full programme announced for the 60th edition of Brighton Festival

19 February 2026
Please Do Not Touch Preview

Please Do Not Touch Preview

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
January 2026
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News