• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

by Jo Wadsworth
Friday 21 Aug, 2026 at 1:27PM
A A
7
Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Private companies are being asked to come forward for plans to run the seafront paddling pool – and other ideas for leisure businesses on the land to the west.

The King’s Road paddling pool has been closed since the end of last summer. It did not reopen this summer, with work to reinforce the arches underneath the road due to begin.

Now leisure operators, investors and developers are being asked to come forward to redevelop the pool and the playground, with a chance to put something else on the 1,000ft space next door.

The council said that it was particularly interested in ideas which would attract people there outside the summer months.

While the pool and playground would have to remain free, the new leisure facility would probably be a paid attraction. The successful bidder would be expected to fund the whole project.

Councillor Alan Robins, the council’s cabinet member for recreation, said: “If we want a seafront that’s fit for the future, we need to work with private sector investors and developers to deliver it together.

“This is an exciting opportunity to create an exciting destination for local families that leaves a lasting impact in a prominent seafront location.

“It’s a lucrative space in a busy part of the seafront and the playground is always popular so there’s lots of possibilities for how the space could be used.

“We want to work with a partner who shares our vision of providing excellent free facilities for children to enjoy alongside a high-quality leisure offer that supports local jobs and boosts the economy.”

For more information, click here. Proposals need to be submitted by Sunday 27 September.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 7

  1. Ann E Nicky says:
    19 hours ago

    Why are this council obsessed with privatising the seafront? They are selling off the very things that make Brighton & Hove a good place to live. Peter Pan’s gone, King Alfred soon to be sold for private tower blocks, Hove promenade developed for Rock water and saunas and now the beach. Perhaps they intend to charge for a dip in the sea or sell the pebbles for skimming? Rather than pose for political means, get on with providing facilities free for all to access including children with nothing to do.

    Reply
    • JamesK says:
      12 hours ago

      Well said. Brighton and Hove is being run by asset strippers, not a proper council.

      Reply
  2. Fishwife, 49 says:
    16 hours ago

    “The Kings Road paddling pool has been closed since ***” – is there a prize if we correctly complete the sentence?
    I’m going to go for “…since it was discovered to be built directly over a portal to the eternal abyss”

    Reply
  3. Rolivan says:
    15 hours ago

    As I have said previously the Seagulls use it too, which deems it unsafe. If it was run privately how would they afford to keep it safe without charging a fee?

    Reply
  4. JamesK says:
    12 hours ago

    An admission of council failure concerning the provision of a basic leisure amenity. No private operator is going to operate the seafront paddling pool for free. This either means the public pays or the council pays – also with public money – in which case they could have operated it themselves and saved a contract cost. Why is there so little talent and intelligence in the current council? Previous councils used to run most facilities/amenities including the Piers and the city was so much better for it. Now it feels our city is turning into an asset-stripped husk.

    Reply
  5. Steven says:
    10 hours ago

    Oh good, another attempt at selling off the seafront.
    Although with the bit being saved between the pier and the marina I was curious why they didn’t install a massive car park under the upper road. I mean anyone do the math Brighton parking at £2+ per hour on a stretch that is a kilometre parking spaces take up 4 meters and you could build multi level under marine parade. My question would be would I ever need to pay council tax ever again.

    Reply
  6. Charlie Herbert says:
    4 hours ago

    Another fail for BHCC
    Meanwhile , on social media, Bella grins and Muten gurns , telling us what wonderful achievements the council have managed.. it is utter BS.
    Face the facts – BHCC are inept , profligate and duplicitous

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Load More
August 2026
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Jul    

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News