• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Detective whose disclosure failure halted two trials faces hearing today

by Jo Wadsworth
Monday 21 Dec, 2020 at 9:33AM
A A
1
Youths hunted over threats and violent attempted robberies in Hove


A detective whose failure to disclose evidence led to the collapse of two chemsex drug trials is facing a disciplinary hearing today.

Brighton and Hove News reported that the female detective constable was censured by a crown court judge for failing to hand over CCTV evidence – and then asking a colleague to help her cover her tracks.

We named the officer in our report on why the trial was halted – and another one abandoned, along with The Times. Both trials were a result of Operation Australia.

But despite this, Sussex Police have imposed a reporting restriction on the officer’s name – and the names of all the defendants in both trials.

When asked why, the panel’s legally qualified chair Muzamil Khan said: ” I agreed to anonymise the officer’s details on the basis of the Officer’s mental health issues and the potential impact the hearing is likely to have on her.”

Press were not informed or invited to the hearing, and are not allowed to make representations. The only way to challenge the baffling decision is to launch a judicial review at huge expense.

There are no powers to anonymise defendants in criminal trials on the basis of their mental health.

The hearing is due to start at 10am.

The first trial collapsed in May 2019 after it emerged, in an email conversation between the officer and a civilian police colleague Tanya Smith, that the discs had not been viewed, reviewed, scheduled or disclosed.

The trial was halted and a retrial ordered, which was to have taken place in October 2019. The officer was removed from the investigation, and work began to rebuild the case again from scratch under Detective Sergeant Mark Pinder with the help of a civilian disclosure officer.

Meanwhile, lawyers for the various defendants submitted an abuse of process application and a hearing was held in July 2019.

During the hearing, the defence said that the officer’s actions were apparently dishonest and potentially criminal and could have gone beyond what was documented in the emails.

They cited concerns not just over disclosure but also failures of officers to complete search records properly and record conversations and issues around searches carried out at Ivanov’s London addresses.

The court was then told that the officer was not suspended but had been taken off active duties and was being investigated for gross misconduct and potentially criminal charges.

The prosecution said that the officer was not dishonest and the rest of the case was thorough and professional.

But Judge Shani Barnes said that this missed the point and questioned why she was not being told more about how the mistake happened.

She said: “I am confronted by an officer in the case admitting in writing that there were discs in a box with surveillance unseen, unscheduled, undisclosed.

“The attitude she expressed in writing – and, I repeat, I am to get no other evidence on oath or other explanation – reveals a cavalier, dismissive attitude to her duties as a responsible disclosure officer.

“She was, on the face of the emails, disinterested in fulfilling her obligation to ensure that all material was viewed, scheduled and, where appropriate, provided to the defence.

“Her rather casual view that there was unlikely to be anything of evidential value is unprofessional. The officer deliberately left these discs off any schedule.

“She was busy, she indicates, on another case, but instead of viewing them just prior to the trial or asking a junior officer to do so, she chose to ask a civilian colleague to conceal the fact of their existence despite knowing that Miss Smith ordered the collection of these discs from various banks.

“This is, on the face of this document, a serious act of misconduct, in my view, without further explanation.

“Those who are investigated and prosecuted for serious crime must be able to know that those investigations are conducted by persons of the highest integrity.

“Juries listening to evidence must be able to trust officers on oath … The case has been brought into question because of the actions of that officer.

“The defence ask me not to allow another adjournment and to say that this is an abuse of the process. The prosecution say this is not a case of bad faith.

“The prosecution urge me that there is a strong public interest to continue, even though they acknowledge that she failed in her duty and that her conduct is in question.

“It is my judgment that this case has been tainted by the conduct of the officer in the case and, on the evidence provided, it remains an affront to this court’s sense of justice and propriety that it should be allowed to continue as proposed by the prosecution.

“If the officer in the case can reveal so little judgment and propriety in her position of responsibility, it would undermine the integrity of the criminal justice system if I allowed it to go unchecked.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Ren says:
    5 years ago

    There is no justification for secrecy like this. If the workload was too great, she should have asked for help. Perhaps her boss should be charged alongside her for not ensuring the vital work in meeting the legal obligations relating to disclosure was being done properly. Sussex Police are just trying to get round the laws on transparency on grounds that would never be allowed in a court case and shouldn’t actually be allowed in a case like this either. Disgraceful really.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

New bus route to start next month

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

Detective whose disclosure failure halted two trials faces hearing today

Odeon developer asks permission for 12-month ad shroud

Restaurant could lose licence in row over noisy fan

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Emma Rice brings Malory Towers to Brighton Festival with music, mischief and midnight feasts

Midnight feasts, mischief and mayhem: Emma Rice’s Malory Towers delights at Brighton Festival

21 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 2: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 2: 25 reviews)

21 May 2026
It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

21 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

21 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
December 2020
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Nov   Jan »

RSS From Sussex News

  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News