• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Experts shine spotlight on Saltdean Lido repairs

by Frank le Duc
Monday 28 Nov, 2011 at 11:53PM
A A
0

Conservation experts have been called in to examine a historic Brighton building after English Heritage deemed it to be “at risk”.

Saltdean Lido needs repairs and the experts are being asked to agree what work is necessary.

Valuers may also be asked to assess the site in case Brighton and Hove City Council decides to compulsorily purchase it or the leaseholder surrenders the lease.

Council officials are likely to be asked to hold talks with the leaseholder, a company called Power Fitness Ltd or PFL, about the possible surrender of the lease.

At the same time, members of the Save Saltdean Lido Campaign have called a series of emergency meetings to consult as many residents at possible.

The campaigners want to hear residents’ views on a report which will be considered by Councillor Geoffrey Bowden, the council’s cabinet member for culture, on Tuesday (6 December). The emergency meetings are on Sunday (4 December).

The report to Councillor Bowden says that the council and PFL are in dispute about what repairs are needed and how well recent repairs have been carried out.

In May last year the council, which owns the freehold, served a legal notice on property developer Dennis Audley, the former leaseholder and a director of PFL. The order requires a list of repairs to be made.

Since then the building has been included in the latest edition of the English Heritage Building at Risk register which was published on Wednesday 19 October.

The register is used by English Heritage as part of its Heritage at Risk programme. The programme was established “to identify historic assets that are at risk of being lost through neglect, decay or development or are vulnerable to becoming so”.

On Tuesday Councillor Bowden is also expected to agree a new monitoring regime to ensure that the pool is open to the public when it should be.

Save Saltdean Lido members said at a council meeting last month that the Lido hasn’t always opened when it should. They also drew attention to the condition of the building.

A petition signed by more than 3,000 campaigners was presented to the council last month and debated.

One of the next steps was for officials to produce a report for Councillor Bowden to consider on Tuesday.

He said: “At the same time as pursuing the legal route over the state of the building, we’re now seeking an official view from our conservation experts.

“I’m expecting this will strengthen our hand.”

Campaigners want the council to withdraw the lease but council lawyers say that a court is unlikely to support such a move unless and until negotiations with the lessee have broken down.

Councillor Bowden added: “I completely share campaigners’ frustration but for now we must pursue other ways of keeping the pressure on the leaseholder to repair the building and open it regularly.

“We want a vibrant, accessible Lido that plays a full part in the life of the local community and city as a whole.”

The Save Saltdean Lido emergency meetings are scheduled to take place on Sunday 4 December at St Nicholas Church Hall, Saltdean Vale, at 2.15pm, 3.30pm, 5pm and 6.15pm.

Next Tuesday Rebecca Crook, chairman of the Saltdean Lido Campaign, is scheduled to address Councillor Bowden as are the Saltdean Residents’ Association, the Saltdean Community Association and Mr Audley.

Ms Crook, chair of the Save Saltdean Lido Campaign, said: “The needs of the people of Saltdean have always been at the heart of our campaign and we have consulted the community constantly since our inception.”

The campaign was set up last year by local residents after the leaseholder PFL announced plans to fill in the pool, demolish part of the building and build more than 100 flats. 

The council has since indicated that that is not likely to grant planning permission to any such scheme.

Saltdean Lido is the only Grade II* listed lido in England and next year it will have been in the council’s ownership for 50 years.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Experts shine spotlight on Saltdean Lido repairs

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Brighton campaigner on trial over Hamas ‘support’ posts

Ward councillors weigh in on row over communal bins

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
November 2011
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930  
« Oct   Dec »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News