• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Neighbours oppose plan for 5G mast on roof of Hove flats

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 25 Mar, 2021 at 7:46PM
A A
8
Neighbours oppose plan for 5G mast on roof of Hove flats

Coombe Lea in Hove - Picture by Serena Mitchell

Neighbours are fighting plans to instal a 5G mobile phone mast on the roof of their building and cabinets in the garden.

Mobile phone companies EE and Three have submitted a joint application to instal six masts on Coombe Lea, a 1960s block in Grand Avenue, within The Avenues Conservation Area in Hove.

Telecommunication company Walden, which is managing the application for the two companies, sent out 84 letters in January to residents.

Five of them raised concerns before the planning application was submitted to Brighton and Hove City Council in March.

Since then, 28 people have written to object to the plans and two have sent letters of support.

A resident, Serena Mitchell, set up a Twitter account @Stop5gHove, with videos sharing opponents’ concerns.

Ms Mitchell said: “I was horrified to receive a letter in early January from Waldon, a Surrey-based engineering company acting on behalf of Three and EE, telling me they were submitting a planning application to instal six large mobile phone masts and a network base station on our roof.

“There are over 150 people living and working in this block 24 hours a day, including elders and families with young children.

“The majority of us are really worried that this unsolicited proposal will damage our ageing block, devalue our property and cause both noise and environmental pollution.”

She said that she was concerned about the impact on the conservation area as the modern block was close to a number of listed buildings. The equipment cabinets would be in the block of flats’ garden.

Ms Mitchell added: “Our home is visible from all the surrounding streets and seafront, with many listed and heritage buildings.

“These ugly masts will totally overshadow our neighbourhood and the listed Hove war memorial, which is right on our doorstep.”

Labour councillor Gary Wilkinson, who represents Central Hove ward, has spoken with neighbours and is concerned about the effect on the conservation area.

Councillor Wilkinson said: “It seems totally inappropriate to place a highly visible mast station on the roof of an ageing residential block slap bang in the middle of a conservation area.

“I am concerned that the mobile phone companies have not considered other options for network expansion, such as siting their masts on the roofs of commercial buildings.”

Coombe Lea in Hove – Picture by Serena Mitchell

Comments on the council’s website include concerns about the effect on nesting birds on the roof and whether the 1960s building is designed for such heavy equipment.

One commenter, whose details were redacted on the council website, described the proposals as “overkill”, saying that there were masts on the new Waterfront building on the former Texaco garage site.

In the application, EE and Three included documents explaining how 5G technology was part of the country’s “telecoms future” and how it would benefit council.

Brighton and Hove has a “5G testbed” and is in the process of creating a three-mile ring of fibre-optic cables linking the universities, college buildings and public library.

EE and Three also said that the next generation of smartphones was a “small part” of wider mobile connectivity.

It said: “The next generation of mobile telephony is 5G and it brings a revolutionary approach to managing spectrum and greatly increasing data speeds.

“The advantages this presents range from near-instant downloads of HD films to connected cars, smart medical devices and smart cities.”

The application can be inspected – and comments left – on the council’s website by searching for BH2021/00799.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 8

  1. Jonathan Simons says:
    5 years ago

    At least we have confirmation thst Gary WIlkinson is part of the tin foil hat brigade – looking forward to voting him out in 2023.

    Reply
    • hove75 says:
      5 years ago

      I think you’ll find the councillor is objecting to the placing of masts in a conservation area and suggesting another placement. Not against 5G. No tin foil story here.

      Reply
    • Chaz. says:
      5 years ago

      At least we have confirmation that Gary Wilkinson is alive and well.
      He doesn’t reply to residents issues or concerns so we wondered where he had gone to.

      Reply
      • Mick says:
        5 years ago

        Well he obviously does if you read the article and has regularly championed residents views in the press. More than some councillors.

        Reply
      • Mick says:
        5 years ago

        He is regularly in the press championing residents issues. More than many councillors. Reading the article clearly evidences him representing concerns.

        Reply
        • Chaz. says:
          5 years ago

          Are you Gary’s partner Mick?
          Stop defending him blindly. He is atrocious.

          Reply
          • Katy says:
            5 years ago

            Are you his ex. No wonder you don’t hear or see him!

  2. Hove Guy says:
    5 years ago

    Notice how is states “how it would benefit council”.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Former Brighton MP gives Burnham a boost

Pavement gullies for electric cars to be trialled

Neighbours oppose plan for 5G mast on roof of Hove flats

Drowned women now identified, police believe

Labour picks candidate for Goldsmid by-election

Woman admits pulling fellow mum’s braids out and smashing glasses during school run attack

New Greggs update: A27 traffic chaos to end within 24 hours, says MP

Three women recovered off Brighton beach not believed to have attended nightclub

Lewes brewery plans taproom and pizza restaurant next to Prince Albert

i360 UFO delusions lead to bus stop attacks

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
credit - Claire Gaby

Tonight – Bert and Nasi

17 May 2026

MEAT – preview

17 May 2026
The Doris Show, Brighton Lantern Theatre, May 14-16th 2026

Doris Daydream Brings Nostalgia

17 May 2026

Norman’s Big Day Out

16 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex chase impressive first innings total at Somerset

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
16 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 22-1 (5.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (4 points) by 504 runs Centuries...

Load More
March 2021
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
  • Smurf line drug dealer jailed 13 May 2026
  • Patti Smith: A legend returns to Brighton Dome 13 May 2026
  • Driver arrested after woman dies in crash today 12 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News