• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton off-licence ordered to close

by Frank le Duc
Monday 19 Dec, 2011 at 1:37PM
A A
0

A Brighton off-licence has had its licence revoked after being caught selling illicit wine and vodka.

Tipple, in Queen’s Road, Brighton, was found to be selling fake Jacob’s Creek in March – and Glens vodka on which duty did not appear to have been paid.

A visit in July found almost 250 bottles of fake or smuggled vodka, including 42 bottles of Troika vodka and 204 bottles of Admiral vodka.

The Admiral vodka was sent for analysis and found to contain high levels of methanol.

Separately Revenue and Customs seized 552 bottles of wine after the licensee Koray Tatlidede, of Addison Road, Hove, could not provide invoices for them to show that duty had been paid.

He has since been asked to pay £1,279 duty.

Brighton and Hove City Council trading standards department and Sussex Police applied for Mr Tatlidede’s licence to be revoked.

The reason given was to prevent crime and disorder.

A licensing panel heard from John Peerless, head of trading standards, that Mr Tatlidede had since worked with officials to try to ensure that licensing rules were observed.

‘Fall from grace’

He appeared to be the only designated premises supervisor (DPS) at Tipple where it was a condition of his licence that a DPS should be present when alcohol was sold. The shop was licensed from 9am to midnight every day.

He admitted dividing his time between Tipple and his other off-licence, Booze Factor in Lewes Road.

Solicitor Nicholas Perkins, representing Mr Tatlidede, said that no problems had arisen from inspections at Booze Factor.

He described the licensing law breaches at Tipple as a “fall from grace” and said: “My client was using an established wholesaler. He wasn’t using ‘white van man’.”

Mr Tatlidede said that he had placed one order with a driver called Alex, who worked for a wholesaler called Always 4 U. It turned out – after the delivery – that Alex no longer worked for the wholesaler.

Mr Perkins said that no invoice had been received and the order had not been paid for and the stock was in the basement and not being offered for sale.

He said that some of the problems had arisen when Mr Tatlidede’s mother was ill with cancer.

Confusion

Mr Perkins said that this was not an excuse but added: “It may explain why there has been some confusion.”

The licensing panel was reminded that the off-licence owner had a legal duty to have invoices to enable drinks to be traceable.

Councillor Ollie Sykes, the panel chairman, said that there had been more than one breach of the rules.

The Licensing Act guidance suggests that selling smuggled alcohol should be treated particularly seriously and “even in the first instance revocation of the premises licence is appropriate where the premises have been used for the sale of smuggled alcohol”.

Councillor Ollie Sykes, the panel chairman, said: “Availability of counterfeit and illicit alcohol is a huge problem in Brighton and Hove and counters directly the licensing objective of prevention of crime and disorder.”

He was speaking on behalf of a panel that included Councillor Pete West and Councillor Mo Marsh, and added: “We have heard that compliance at the premises with effect to maintaining a refusals book, selling strong beer and maintaining a training record had improved following a visit by trading standards and the police in July 2011.

Significant

“However, following non-compliance noted in March 2011, namely the sale of counterfeit and illicit alcohol, we have seen repetition of this breach in July 2011 on a significant scale.

“Issues of traceability of alcohol remain and in addition to this it is the responsibility of the premises licence holder to take steps to ensure he/she is not selling counterfeit or illicit alcohol.

“The Secretary of State’s guidance lists certain criminal activity which may arise in connection with licensed premises which it is considered should be treated particularly seriously.

“This list includes the use of the premises for the sale of smuggled alcohol and the guidance indicates that revocation is appropriate even in the first instance of a breach of this nature.

“It is the panel’s duty to take steps to promote the licensing objectives in the interests of the wider community and not those of the individual premises licence holder.

“We have considered all the options open to us, in particular the suspension of the premises licence for a limited period.

“However, from the evidence we have heard today, the panel does not have confidence in the premises licence holder’s ability to promote the licensing objectives and has therefore decided in this instance that it is necessary to revoke the premises licence.”

Mr Tatlidede has 21 days to appeal against the panel’s decision.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Brighton off-licence ordered to close

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Constance Marten given permission to appeal against her sentence

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion rout Aston Villa in opening game

Brighton and Hove Albion rout Aston Villa in opening game

by Edward Elliot - PA
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 4 Aston Villa 0 Jack Hinshelwood struck twice in two first-half minutes as a rampant Brighton...

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

Brighton and Hove Albion host Aston Villa in Premier League opener

by Frank le Duc
23 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are preparing to host Aston Villa in their opening fixture of the Premier League season this...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Load More
December 2011
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Nov   Jan »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Drug line controller jailed for seven years 23 August 2026
  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News