• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Divers recover 400lb of ‘ghost fishing gear’ from sea off Brighton

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 27 May, 2021 at 9:15AM
A A
0
Divers recover 400lb of ‘ghost fishing gear’ from sea off Brighton

Ghost Fishing UK divers at work

Volunteer divers have recovered “ghost fishing gear” weighing about 400lb – more than 180kg – from the seabed about six miles off Brighton.

Ghost Fishing UK divers at work off the Sussex coast – Picture by Christine Grosart

They set out from Brighton Marina and focused on fishing nets on the shipwreck of the Pentyrch, a cargo steamship sunk by a German submarine in the First World War.

The mission was organised by the charity Ghost Fishing UK and the Sussex Wildlife Trust as part of the trust’s Wild Coast Sussex project.

Ghost Fishing UK said that it was responding “to reports from scuba divers in the Brighton area to locate and survey lost fishing nets on the shipwreck of the Pentyrch, before making a plan to remove it”.

The charity said: “Lost or abandoned fishing gear is problematic in our oceans, with an estimated 640,000 tonnes lost into the sea globally each year.

“The lost nets and pots known as ‘ghost gear’ continue fishing non-stop. The catch is never landed and the trapped animals act as bait for others in a non-stop cycle of wasteful deaths known as ‘ghost fishing’.

“The team brought the net back on board the diving vessel Channel Diver operating from Brighton Marina and the net will now be stored for recycling.

“Despite covid-19 restrictions, the team underwent daily testing and diligent hygiene in order to carry out the mission.

“This was the second mission the team of volunteers had undertaken in the Sussex region this year following plentiful reports by scuba divers of lost nets fouling the wrecks in the area, causing a hazard not just to them but the wildlife along the Sussex coastline.

“Working in 18 metres of water, the visibility was good – and the divers have so far this season been able to recover 275kg of lost nets in just three dives.”

Ghost Fishing UK trustee Christine Grosart, who also acts as an underwater photographer for the charity, said: “The team were delighted to be asked to join up with Sussex Wildlife Trust’s Wild Coast Sussex project.

“It was great to have them on the boat so that they could see what goes on at the sharp end of our charity, removing ghost gear from the sea.

“And it was great to finally start cleaning up the Sussex region where we had not been before this spring.”

The Wild Coast Sussex project was set up to inspire local communities to care for the marine environment and enable them to protect their coast and sea.

The project has been awarded a National Lottery Heritage Fund grant and has the support of the Marine Conservation Society, Sussex Inshore Fisheries and Conservation Authority and Brighton Sea Life.

Its aims are to

  • inspire and connect people to the Sussex coast and sea
  • engage people in direct action to protect the Sussex coast and sea
  • enable learning and activities that encourage people to make positive lifestyle choices and behaviour change to reduce negative impacts on the Sussex coast and sea
  • empower people to share experience and influence others to protect the Sussex coast and sea

…

Ghost Fishing UK was invited to get involved because of its extensive experience training divers to survey and recover lost fishing gear safely.

It operates an online reporting system which is open to fishermen and divers.

Wild Coast Sussex project manager Nikki Hills joined the team on board the Channel Diver. She said: “It was fantastic to join the Ghost Fishing UK team on a trip to recover ghost nets off the Sussex Coast and see first-hand the dedicated work of the divers and the amount of net they managed to remove.

“Removing this net is so important because, if left, it can trap precious marine wildlife and add to plastic in the sea.

“The Wild Coast Sussex project is really pleased to support the work of Ghost Fishing UK – and it’s great to have them in Sussex.”

Ghost Fishing UK divers at work

The SS Pentyrch was a cargo steamship which was torpedoed in 1918 close to where the Rampion Wind Farm now stands.

Ghost Fishing UK said that plenty of the wreckage could still be seen protruding from the sandy seabed.

It added: “Unfortunately, these protrusions snag on fishing nets and can cause them to break away. They then continue to fish until they can be removed.”

Miss Grosart said “We are very grateful for the reports from divers about these nets. We are also very keen to work with the fishing industry to get these unfortunate losses, which are not deliberate, back out of the sea.

“We would urge fishermen to tell us if they have lost any pots or nets so that we can see if it is possible for us to remove and then recycle them.

“We are soon launching a reporting system dedicated for fishermen so that they can report losses to us in confidence.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Man charged with raping woman on Brighton beach

Developer plans 12-storey block of co-living flats

Divers recover 400lb of ‘ghost fishing gear’ from sea off Brighton

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

Two men appear in court charged with murder in Brighton

1,500 homes without water

Where should new homes be built in Brighton and Hove?

Brighton woman charged after pro-Palestine protest in London

Care provider chosen to run council’s £6m new supported living scheme

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
PREVIEW: The Covetousness  – Brighton Fringe

REVIEW: Jinkun Chinese Arts’ The Covetousness and Chunxiang’s Schoolroom Prank

19 May 2026
Ballet Central hits Brighton

Ballet Central hits Brighton

19 May 2026
Olly Alexander, Goodbye To Berlin, Charleston Festival, Monday 25th May 2026

Olly Alexander Explore Christopher Isherwood

19 May 2026
Irvine Welsh Men In Love, Charleston Festival, May 23rd

Irvine Welsh updates Trainspotting

19 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
May 2021
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Apr   Jun »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
  • Prolific shoplifter jailed after she stole goods worth £2k 18 May 2026
  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
  • Thatched roof catches fire 14 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News