• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
24 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Arts and Culture

Events, travel and entertainment sectors still need support, says Brighton MP

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 1 Jul, 2021 at 10:00PM
A A
1
Tories talk out Brighton MP’s NHS Bill

Caroline Lucas

It’s too soon to start winding down the furlough scheme, with the events, travel and entertainments sectors still suffering the financial effects of the coronavirus restrictions, Caroline Lucas said today.

The Green MP for Brighton Pavilion spoke out as the phasing out of the covid furlough scheme and other business support measures gets under way today (Thursday 1 July).

Employers will now be required to pay 10 per cent of furloughed staff’s wages while business rates relief and other support measures are also being phased out.

The MP said: “It makes no sense for the furlough scheme to be wound down for sectors like entertainment, travel and live events which still can’t operate and may take some time to get back on their feet once lockdown restrictions are lifted later this month.

“I’ve kept in close touch with local businesses over the past 15 months and know that many are still dealing with the scars of the pandemic which will take some time to heal.

“There is a real risk that businesses will fail just as they hope to turn the corner.

“They have rightly been supported since the start of the pandemic with business rates relief and delays on VAT payments.

“And the Chancellor is being very premature in pulling the rug out from under their feet just as they start to open up.”

She was one of a cross-party group of 22 MPs who called on the government to bring in measures to help the music industry weather the extension to lockdown rules.

The group, which also includes Conservative, Labour, Liberal Democrat and Scottish Nationalist MPs, said that the sector faced a “profound challenge” in the pandemic – and that its workers were a “national asset who will be critical to the recovery”.

The live music sector, including night clubs, had been preparing to reopen at full capacity on Monday 21 June – but this was delayed until Monday 19 July amid a rise in cases.

The MPs called for a government-backed coronavirus cancellation insurance scheme for live events, the extension of support to match the extension of restrictions and parity across UK nations and regions with regards to the extension of the 100 per cent business rate relief, with additional support for freelancers.

Jamie Njoku-Goodwin, chief executive of industry body UK Music, said: “It’s welcome to see support for the UK music industry from MPs right across the political spectrum. Now it’s vital that this cross-party support is converted into action by government.

“We are determined to play our part in helping drive the post-pandemic recovery and want to see live music events back as soon as possible.

“With the right support from the government, the music industry can get back on its feet and deliver a summer of live music and create thousands of jobs.”

The Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport said: “Our support for the music industry throughout the pandemic has been unwavering, with over £200 million allocated to over 800 organisations via our unprecedented Culture Recovery Fund and more support is on the way.

“We are aware of the wider concerns about securing indemnity cover and are exploring what further support may be required when the sector is able to reopen.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Peter Challis says:
    5 years ago

    With restrictions planned to be relaxed on July 19 and the pent up demand for us to start using entertainment, travel and live events, why shouldn’t the government start cutting back on furlough?

    Just watching Wimbledon and Euros shows the desire is there, and the number of people having stay-cations is pushing up revenues for hotels and resorts.

    Perhaps if resorts, such as Brighton & Hove, did more to encourage visitors to come back to the city rather than threaten car bans, cause delays with barely used cycle lanes, and putting up parking charges.

    According the recent BBC news items cycling and car journeys are now returning to pre-Covid levels, so perhaps we need to think about welcoming motorists and the revenue they bring to support the local economy, rather than putting in even more cycle lanes as Sustrans seem to want.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57314807

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Former Brighton teacher awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

Phone-free restaurant finds permanent home

Events, travel and entertainment sectors still need support, says Brighton MP

New bus route to start next month

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Opposition overlooked and left in the dark, says councillor

Hospital marks £860m project’s helipad and cancer milestones

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Oh To Believe in Another World: Shostakovich Symphony No.10

Oh To Believe In Another World

23 May 2026
Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone

Robocop vs The Terminator vs Gabriel Featherstone vs direction

23 May 2026
We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

We Are Warriors, Cab Road Tunnel, Brighton Festival

23 May 2026
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Lantern Theatre, Brighton Fringe, May 22&23rd 2026

Review: Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

23 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Welbeck double sinks Liverpool at Brighton and Hove Albion

Welbeck deserves a World Cup place, says Brighton and Hove Albion boss

by PA sport staff
23 May 2026
0

Danny Welbeck deserves a place in the England World Cup squad, according to Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Fabian...

Sussex Sharks open T20 Blast with a win

Sussex off to a winning start in the Blast

by Martin Smith - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 May 2026
0

Essex 191-5 (20 overs) Sussex Sharks 192-4 (16 overs) Sussex Sharks win by 6 wickets John Simpson hurried Sussex Sharks...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Load More
July 2021
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Former assistant head awaits sentence for ‘sexting’ boy of 13 23 May 2026
  • Biggest hospital in Sussex marks two key milestones 22 May 2026
  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News