• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Rats spotted as rubbish piles up after a month of missed collections

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 11 Jan, 2022 at 9:36AM
A A
2
Rats spotted as rubbish piles up after a month of missed collections

People spotted rats in their rubbish after emergency work left bin lorry crews unable to reach an estate for several weeks.

Streets off Sackville Road, Hove, were affected when emergency repairs started after their sewers became blocked with concrete from a neighbouring building site.

Bin lorries were unable to get down Landseer Road and Prinsep Road, one-way streets in the area of Hove known as Artists’ Corner.

One resident, who asked not to be identified, said that neighbours had spotted rats regularly since Monday 20 December after four weeks of missed collections.

Brighton and Hove City Council’s Cityclean workers last collected recycling on Thursday 16 December but the resident said that rubbish had not been collected since Friday 26 November.

After inquires by the Local Democracy Reporting Service, Cityclean workers went out during the afternoon of Friday 7 January to clean up the backlog.

Concrete blocking the sewers came from building work on the neighbouring Moda Living site in Sackville Road where hundreds of homes are going up.

Midguard, a contractor working on the project, said that it helped residents by sending a skip for rubbish on Thursday 16 December.

Midgard said: “Refuse collection has been an issue in Brighton and Hove for some time and residents near our Sackville Road site were impacted by this in the lead up to Christmas.

“We were happy to step in and collect refuse to support our local community.”

Cityclean assured Hove Park ward councillors Samer Bagaeen and Vanessa Brown that crews would keep collecting the rubbish when the emergency sewer repairs started in November.

But after collections were missed, Councillor Bagaeen criticised the lack of a plan and Councillor Brown said that bin lorries could still reach the two streets because the one-way system was suspended.

When the Local Democracy Reporting Service reported on the issue early last month, the council said that the rubbish would be collected “as soon as possible”.

Since then, the council has apologised again to residents in Landseer Road and Prinsep Road about the lack of collections since November.

The council said: “This situation has been caused by the emergency construction site roadworks on Sackville Road – when concrete ended up in the sewer causing Southern Water to undertake remedial works. But we acknowledge that we should have dealt with it better.

“There have been issues around our trucks gaining access. We will henceforth be collecting from Landseer Road and Princep Road with a smaller truck to make things easier.

“We are committed to re-establishing regular refuse and recycling collections there in line with the rest of the city.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 2

  1. Anony says:
    5 years ago

    Dead rat on a street in hove today!
    Absolutely awful service!

    Reply
  2. George Pritchard says:
    5 years ago

    Hardly rocket science for the council to plan for this – it shouldn’t take 6 weeks to rectify and collect residents’ rubbish. As for the supposed Midguard collection pre-Christmas, no one remembers seeing it, and it certainly didn’t empty the bins.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Rats spotted as rubbish piles up after a month of missed collections

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
January 2022
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News