• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Head teachers to vote on industrial action over pay, Brighton conference told

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 19 Oct, 2022 at 8:35PM
A A
0
Schools win fight over cuts in pupil numbers

Head teachers are to be balloted on national industrial action in a row over pay for the first time in their union’s 125-year history, the TUC conference in Brighton has been told.

The general secretary of the National Association of Head Teachers (NAHT) Paul Whiteman told the Trades Union Congress (TUC) conference that he has “never heard more anger and despair” from school leaders.

The NAHT said that this was the first time they had held a national ballot for industrial action over pay, having only previously held regional votes on the issue.

The union has also previously held national strike ballots in disputes over pensions and SATs (standardised assessment tests) – both more than a decade ago.

Mr Whiteman told the conference at the Brighton Centre that head teachers had lost about 24 per cent on the value of their salary since 2010.

He said yesterday that he had written to Education Secretary Kit Malthouse about the ballot.

Education funding was expected to be 3 per cent less in real terms in 2024-25 than it was in 2010 – and school leaders felt “compelled to fight for the futures of the children”, Mr Whiteman said.

He added: “Over the course of the last few months, I have travelled the country hearing from our members directly. I have never heard more anger and despair.

“School leaders across the country are telling me that they cannot continue to run their schools in the current circumstances.

“The neglect of pay in education and the funding to support it is now eroding the quality of education that our members can provide.”

Mr Whiteman said that insufficient pay had sent schools into “a vicious spiral” of staff resignations and warned that “heartbreaking cuts to services” would have to be made.

He said that “spiralling energy bills”, inflation and lack of funding for teachers’ pay meant that thousands of schools were expecting to be heading for a deficit.

He added: “Consequently, school leaders are being forced to make cuts that ultimately cannot help but negatively impact on the education and wellbeing of children.”

Mr Whiteman said that the “relentlessly reasonable professionals” that he represented felt that they had “no choice” but to move to a formal ballot.

He said: “No school leader would ever take any industrial action lightly but they are telling me they feel compelled to fight for the futures of the children and young people in their care.

“It is no exaggeration to say that the future of education is on the line.”

Leaders would aim to avoid disruption to pupils, according to Mr Whiteman, as he urged the government to respond to their concerns.

He spoke out after an NAHT survey suggested that 84 per cent of members in England wanted a ballot on taking action short of a strike if an agreement on pay and funding was not reached. The same survey found that 55 per cent wished to vote on taking strike action.

Some 64 per cent of members responded to the survey this month.

School leaders in Wales also indicated their concern in a concurrent poll by NAHT Cymru. It suggested that 91 per cent of members wanted to be balloted on action short of a strike and 64 per cent wished to vote on strike action.

The NAHT represents school leaders in most primary schools in England and Wales.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Head teachers to vote on industrial action over pay, Brighton conference told

Father who died off Shoreham beach was Palestinian refugee

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
October 2022
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News