• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Water leak closes bus diversion route again – with no date for reopening

by Frank le Duc
Friday 31 Mar, 2023 at 1:30AM
A A
9
Bus diversion route closed while engineers investigate water leak

Upper North Street road closed. Picture by Karla Courtney

A bus diversion route is due to be closed again because of “a severe water leak”, with no date set for when the road in the centre of Brighton will reopen.

ROAD CLOSURE: Upper North Street will be closed from 9am tomorrow (Friday 31 March) until further notice for emergency repair work. A severe water leak has caused significant damage to the road. Buses are being diverted via Seven Dials. We’re really sorry for any inconvenience. pic.twitter.com/k90kevZqHB

— Brighton & Hove City Council (@BrightonHoveCC) March 30, 2023

The latest leak is at least the fourth in Upper North Street since Brighton and Hove City Council roadworks in Western Road led to the rerouting.

The council said last night: “Upper North Street will be closed from 9am tomorrow (Friday 31 March) until further notice for emergency repair work.

“A severe water leak has caused significant damage to the road. Buses are being diverted via the Seven Dials. We’re really sorry for any inconvenience.”

Residents believe that the leaks are being caused by the hundreds of buses that have been using Upper North Street each day for about two months.

Three water leaks have damaged the road so far this month and there has also been a gas leak.

But the council said that the problems were nothing to do with the extra heavy vehicles now using the road, blaming joint failures in Southern Water’s old infrastructure.

The council started work in Western Road last November and it is due to be completed by May next year. The bus diversions began in January.

After the last leak, the council said: “Unfortunately, Southern Water have developed a major leak on Upper North Street and have had to go in today to excavate. This involves closing the road.

“The leak has nothing to do with the current use of the road as a diversion from Western Road.

“It has been necessary to close Western Road to eastbound buses and taxis while we carry out improvement works. This is a temporary measure until the work is complete.

“We’re sorry for any inconvenience caused while this work takes place and thank those affected for bearing with us.

“We appreciate residents’ concerns about rerouted traffic passing by their properties during the closure of Western Road. But unfortunately there isn’t a viable alternative option that would keep the city’s bus network moving.”

People living along the diversion route – Montpelier Road, Montpelier Terrace, Upper North Street and Regent Hill – have petitioned the council to change the route.

They have put signs in their windows to protest about it and formed a group called the Western Road Redirection Action Group (WRRAG) to take legal action against the council.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 9

  1. Technique says:
    3 years ago

    If Southern Water spent less money on directors’ bonuses, and more money on infrastructure….

    Reply
    • Peter Challis says:
      3 years ago

      Doesn’t help when a 7.5ton weight limit restriction for the road was removed by the council so that buses could use Upper North Street, apparently, without any survey taking place.

      But, of course, much simpler to blame Southern Water.

      Reply
      • Keith says:
        3 years ago

        Actually, the 7.5t limit is ONLY for lorries. It doesn’t include buses of any weight. It was in the test I took.

        Reply
        • mart Burt says:
          3 years ago

          Keith
          Actually Brighton Buses made it clear that this road should not be used due to weakness of underworks and used to be in the Risk Management hand book as a Hazard.

          Reply
  2. Paul Paul says:
    3 years ago

    tHiS hAs nOtHiNG tO dO wItH tHE 100s oF bUSeS sTaMPeDInG aLOnG uPpER nORth sTrEeT. No mate, just a coincidence! God these people are vile.

    Reply
    • joshua says:
      3 years ago

      From my experience gas leaks are fairly common. The water leaks on the other hand I could see being the busses.

      Reply
  3. Rob Heale says:
    3 years ago

    Diverting heavy traffic onto residential streets is common with the “Green” Council. They are now diverting traffic towards 7 Dials, where the Greens removed the Safety Railings and the Lighted Crossings at great expense!

    Reply
  4. chris says:
    3 years ago

    Errm no buses = no leaks, lots of buses = lots of leaks. Of course there is no connection at all ? How daft do you have to be to not see a connection ?
    I am sure that the road/services “should” be good enough – but obviously they are not. Perhaps it is time for gas/water to dig up the whole road to perform “emegency” renewals. Right now.

    Reply
  5. Paul Temple says:
    3 years ago

    Don’t forget this is the same administration that claimed the hole that opened at the Old Steine was nothing to do with the Christmas Fun Fair. A report over a year later said it certainly was. So when they claim it’s nothing to do with the buses you cab bet it was.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

New bus route to start next month

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

Water leak closes bus diversion route again – with no date for reopening

Odeon developer asks permission for 12-month ad shroud

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 6: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 6: 25 reviews)

22 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 5: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 5: 25 reviews)

22 May 2026
SORA pop up to bring a layer of class to Malmaison

SORA arrives at Malmaison Brighton Marina

22 May 2026
Phone-free restaurant gets permanent home

Phone-free restaurant gets permanent home

22 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
March 2023
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Feb   Apr »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News