• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Billboard company’s ‘misleading’ hoarding application slammed by residents

by Jo Wadsworth
Friday 1 Sep, 2023 at 12:46PM
A A
0
Billboard company’s ‘misleading’ hoarding application slammed by residents

A billboard company hoping to get permission for a billboard on a busy Brighton street has been accused of making a ‘misleading’ application.

Nicholas Mager of Abbey Commercial Limited is asking for approval for a billboard on a wall on the side of 56 Preston Street, on the corner of Stone Street.

The building is home to Pizza King, which is run by Samir Salama – who also owns the Fish and Chips restaurant further down Preston Street.

Mr Salama applied in 2003 for a billboard at the same location, which was refused.

The application says the board is currently displaying an advert for Wakehurst Place, and has submitted a picture showing that poster.

But the Regency Squares Committee says the picture is an “attempt to mislead” – and the application fails to mention the advert had to be painted over in July when the agency was told there was no planning permission for it.

The committee’s comment says: “The application document states there is an existing advertisement at the proposed site. This is a false statement.

The applicant provides a photograph of an advertisement purporting to show the site ‘as is today’- again this is an attempt to mislead.

“That sleight of hand is revealed by the applicant itself – a photograph truly showing ‘as is today’ is included in the applicant’s own drawing “Existing and Proposed Plan and Elevation”.

“It shows that the site today contains no advertisement whatsoever.

“An advertising agency Amplify first erected a hoarding advertisement at the site on 10th May 2023.

“The company was notified it had been displaying advertisements at the site illegally from that time to July 2023 and painted over the advertisement.

“The company has not removed the hoarding itself.”

The application – and the photograph of the Wakehurst poster – were submitted to the council on 5 July.

Further documents, including drawings and photographs of the existing signage, were submitted on 10 August.

A picture submitted with the application showing the billboard painted over

Another commenter, whose name has been redacted by the council’s online portal, said: “I appose this planning application.

“The size of this advertising board is completely out of character for the conservation area and is on a an entirely residential street and has been put up with no thought whatsoever as to how it looks.

“The applicant has already had planning for this rejected and I believe an enforcement notice to remove it back in 2013 – BH2003/02827/AD.

“He has then gone one to ignore this and put the sign up again.

“He also has an enforcement notice on another property on Preston Street because he didn’t get planning permission for developments that have a detrimental effect to the appearance of the conservation area and look just plain awful.”

In April this year, Mr Salama was issued with an enforcement notice requiring him to remove a “garish and unsightly” tiled ramp and seating area outside Fish and Chips at 86-87 Preston Street.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Man charged with raping woman on Brighton beach

Developer plans 12-storey block of co-living flats

Two men appear in court charged with murder in Brighton

Billboard company’s ‘misleading’ hoarding application slammed by residents

Care provider chosen to run council’s £6m new supported living scheme

Brighton woman charged after pro-Palestine protest in London

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

Where should new homes be built in Brighton and Hove?

Controversial plaque commemorating slave owner removed

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Top 5 music performances during this year’s Official and Unofficial ‘Escapes’

Top 5 music performances during this year’s Official and Unofficial ‘Escapes’

18 May 2026
A Bank Holiday Weekend of Art, Music and Food  with Nabihah Iqbal: Imagined, Eternal

A Bank Holiday Weekend of Art, Music and Food with Nabihah Iqbal: Imagined, Eternal

18 May 2026
The Great Escape marks its 20th anniversary with triumphant celebration of new music

The Great Escape marks its 20th anniversary with triumphant celebration of new music

18 May 2026
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Lantern Theatre, Brighton 22-23rd May 2026

Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

18 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
September 2023
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
  • Prolific shoplifter jailed after she stole goods worth £2k 18 May 2026
  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
  • Smurf line drug dealer jailed 13 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News