• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Long-awaited Madeira Terrace work to start in weeks

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 29 Oct, 2024 at 6:06PM
A A
4
New Madeira Terrace lift design fails to impress

An artist's impression of how the first phase of the Madeira Terraces restoration will look

The long-awaited start on the restoration of Madeira Terrace is due to start next month, the council announced today.

Rubbish clearance will start within weeks, with some greenery cut back for repairs to the wall in preparation for the first phase of the roject, which will see 28 arches restored and a new lift built to the west of the Shelter Hall.

Brighton and Hove City Council hopes the work, which also includes replacing the deck and a new staircase from there down to Madeira Drive, could be complete as soon as summer 2026.

Councillor Julie Cattell, lead councillor for Major Projects, said: “The recent grant award of £750,000 from Historic England to supplement the funds already allocated by the council means that the first phase of this long-awaited project can at last commence.

“The restoration of the longest cast-iron structure in the UK will be a highly complex and challenging task. It requires dismantling the cast-iron components of the 28 arches and transporting them to a contractor in the Midlands, which specialises in the refurbishment of historic ironworks.

“This is one of a series of major projects that we are investing in, to make Brighton and Hove seafront the most exciting in the country.

“It’s a thrilling prospect that in summer 2026 Madeira Terraces’ many dedicated local supporters, our residents and visitors to the city will once more be able to enjoy this iconic piece of our heritage.”

Civil engineering contractor JT Mackley and Co was appointed to undertake Phase 1 of the restoration earlier this month, following a public tender process.

Once on site, they will start to clear rubbish, then go through items to be stored or saved and greenery that needs to be removed to allow the A259 retaining wall to be repaired.

To allow the works to proceed safely, parking bays between the Royal Crescent Steps and Concorde 2/Madeira Shelter Hall will be temporarily removed, although the bays to the east and west of this area will remain available.

This will enable work to proceed safely, including taking down the concrete deck.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 4

  1. Car Delenda Est says:
    2 years ago

    nice to see Labour actually do things from time to time

    Reply
    • Benjamin says:
      2 years ago

      It is a project that has seemed doomed to never start, right? Should make a lot of people happy this news.

      Reply
  2. graham r says:
    2 years ago

    > and a new lift built to the west of the Shelter Hall.

    Surely it’s pretty far east of shelter hall?
    Or is that a non maderia terrace thing thats going on?

    Reply
    • Jo Wadsworth says:
      2 years ago

      Ah sorry – Concorde2 is also formally known as the Shelter Hall. So just east of there.

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

Sussex Police officer denies child sex offences and perverting justice

Long-awaited Madeira Terrace work to start in weeks

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

1,500 homes without water

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

21 May 2026
Bound By The Wind, Rotunda Bubble, May 24-25th 2026

Bound By The Wind Brings The Story of Mulan

21 May 2026
Godz, Head First Acrobats, Brighton Fringe, May 2026

Godz Of Brighton Fringe

21 May 2026
Darling, Brighton Fringe, May 20th 2026

Review: Darling

21 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
October 2024
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News