• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Eight homes approved on site of old garage in Brighton

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Wednesday 4 Dec, 2024 at 9:31PM
A A
5
Homes planned for backstreet site in Brighton fall foul of planners

The entrance to the backyard site by Lincoln Cottages in the Hanover area of Brighton

Eight new homes were approved on a garage site after the developer and community came up with a better plan.

Brighton and Hove City Council’s Planning Committee voted unanimously to approve Burlington Property Group’s plan for eight townhouses at 15-26 Lincoln Cottages, in Hanover, this afternoon (Wednesday 4 December).

The company already has planning permission to build eight townhouses and a bungalow at the site. The council had rejected the plans in August last year but they were approved on appeal.

Instead of a bungalow, the revised scheme includes a landscaped area with trees and a pond.

Resident Liz Cooke spoke on behalf of neighbours at the meeting at Hove Town Hall and said that they preferred the proposal for eight homes with a communal garden.

Previously, neighbours sent 96 letters objecting to the proposals and worked with a planning consultancy to spell out their reasons.

Ms Cooke, who spoke to the committee to object to the application last year, asked for the communal garden to be available for existing neighbours to use as well as new residents.

The neighbours were also concerned about a potential 16 extra parking permits adding more cars to the already congested and narrow streets around Lincoln Cottages.

Burlington’s agent, Oliver Milne, an associate director at Savills, said that, after the previous application, there had been positive engagement with the community, resulting in the plan for a communal garden instead of a bungalow.

He said that the new garden would improve biodiversity and any trees that failed to survive in the first five years would be replaced.

A bin store is also due to be sited further from an existing neighbour than in the earlier plans.

Labour councillor Ty Galvin asked Mr Milne to confirm access to the gardens but he was told that it was not possible to make this a planning condition.

Councillor Galvin said: “Some of the back gardens of the existing properties can enter into this area when they come out their back gates.

“We do not expect the gardens to be made available to every Tom, Dick and Harry but for people in that locality it would be wise for the developer to allow access to the community gardens.”

Conservative councillor Carol Theobald was disappointed at the contribution to affordable housing which, if agreed, is likely to be £112,000 rather than £300,000 as previously proposed.

Councillor Theobald said: “I would have liked to have seen affordable housing units as this site is ideal for affordable units.

“It’s a shame they’re getting away with it. As it’s been allowed on appeal, I don’t think we’ve got a lot of choice here. It’s difficult to say no.”

Labour councillor Tobias Sheard shared his frustration that national planning rules limited the council’s power to insist on more affordable homes on the site.

Councillor Sheard said: “The money that is stripped from us in affordable housing funding is an absolute crying shame.

“It’s almost a dereliction to the working class communities they’re building these houses around.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 5

  1. Russell Smith says:
    1 year ago

    Working class? Hanover? These people are the bourgeoisie. They’ve been sucking the life out of the council tax budget for years while the rest of us go without. How much did that I’ll thought out low traffic area cost us? And all the other failed ideas that get bounded about for this former slum area.

    Reply
  2. Bear Road resident says:
    1 year ago

    So yet again no affordable housing and a risible amount offered in ‘so called’ compensation. By the way I know plenty of people in Hanover who would be classified as ‘working class’…

    Reply
    • val cane says:
      1 year ago

      Totally agree BRR. So sad that with a Labour government we still get overruled by central government. Cllr Ty Galvin and others tried hard to make this development more equitable. Are we to believe that there is going to be a private garden tat nearby residents do not have access to?
      The class prejudice exhibited by Mr. Smith is nonsense. And it was bods in the Council trying to find work for themselves in a department that could well do with pruning that came up with the idea of the LTN for Hanover. No doubt some councillors were for it to be fair :it was defeated largely by a vigorous Facebook campaign to which I contributed. And no, I am not one of the bourgeoisie who live there but I’m across the road from it and walk or drive through it.

      Reply
  3. Rostrum says:
    1 year ago

    Good to hear. People need homes and this is a great area.

    Reply
  4. james says:
    1 year ago

    No bungalow means less homes, and the affordable home levy will be paid for by the other home buyers putting up the cost of housing. Left wingers are not good with maths.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Parents angry over failings that led to school closure plan

Toilet tax plan to hit those in greatest need, say critics

Council plans to close day centre for people with learning disabilities

Ex-PM sends claims about former prince to Sussex Police

Eight homes approved on site of old garage in Brighton

School building to become temporary charity hub

Hospital marks milestone in £62m A&E modernisation

Brighton PC barred from policing for dishonesty

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Bloodworm set to bring their Goth Post-Punk sound back to Brighton

Bloodworm set to bring their Goth Post-Punk sound back to Brighton

22 February 2026
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

by George Sessions - PA
21 February 2026
0

Brentford 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 2 Brighton and Hove Albion marked James Milner’s record-breaking 654th Premier League appearance with...

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

by Frank le Duc
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are to start with four changes at Brentford to the side that lost to Liverpool in...

Hürzeler says Brighton and Hove Albion may need to ‘win ugly’

Brighton and Hove Albion boss urges everyone to stay positive

by PA sport staff
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has urged everyone involved with the club to stay positive despite the side’s...

Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Load More
December 2024
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  
« Nov   Jan »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Driver arrested after man dies in crash late last night 21 February 2026
  • Ex-PM sends memo about former prince to Sussex Police 20 February 2026
  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News