• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

King Alfred design team appointed by council

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 30 Jan, 2025 at 6:09PM
A A
8
King Alfred campaigners call for a referendum

The King Alfred Leisure Centre on Hove seafront

The council has appointed consultants to design and build a new King Alfred Leisure Centre on Hove seafront.

Brighton and Hove City Council called it a “big move forward” and cabinet member Alan Robins said that there would be “shovels in the ground in 2026 and toes in the water in 2028”.

The council said: “The council has appointed Alliance Leisure to lead the design and build of a new sports and leisure facility to replace the ageing King Alfred Leisure Centre.

“Alliance Leisure is the UK’s leading leisure development specialist. They have worked in partnership with many local authorities, leisure operators and trusts to design and develop sustainable sport and leisure facilities across the country, delivering more than 260 projects in the past 25 years.

“As the main delivery partner, Alliance Leisure will bring on board the professional team needed at each stage of the project.

“During the next phase of work to complete the design and submit the planning application, the professional team will be led by GT3 Architects, one of the UK’s leading architects with proven expertise in designing energy efficient sports facilities.

“They previously worked with the council on the development of the Sports Facilities Investment Plan and have a good understanding of the council’s vision for sport and leisure in the city.

“Alongside GT3, the core design team is made up of Engenuiti, the civil and structural engineers for the project, Van Zyl and de Villiers (VZDV), the project’s building services and engineering consultant, and Hadron Consulting, the technical project managers.

“Together, these consultants have a proven track record of designing outstanding new sport and leisure facilities for local authorities.

“For example, the recently opened Eclipse Leisure Centre, in Surrey, which is one of the UK’s first leisure centres to meet industry-leading energy efficiency standards.”

Councillor Robins, the council’s cabinet member for sports and recreation, said: “This is a really exciting step to move forward long-overdue plans for a new leisure centre.

“I’m really pleased to have Alliance Leisure on the project. I’ve seen what they’ve delivered elsewhere – and they understand the challenges that are unique to the sector better than anyone.

“It’s crucial we come up with the best possible solution which offers value for money and provides residents with a modern, energy-efficient sports centre that makes the most of the seafront location.

“I’m confident that, with the team’s experience, we can deliver a facility the city can be proud of.”

The council added: “Over the next few months, the professional team will develop the designs.

“The design must meet modern sports and energy standards and ensure value for money. The facility will be designed to reflect and integrate with the seafront location.

“The design process will take into account the feasibility work that has already been carried out around practicality, financial viability, and health and wellbeing impacts. It will be informed by the engagement work we’ve undertaken over the past two years.

“The new designs will be shared with the local community and existing centre users before submitting the full planning application.”

Alliance Leisure development director Tom Fairey said: “Alliance Leisure is delighted to partner with the council to progress this significant project for the regeneration of the King Alfred Leisure Centre, procured through the UK Leisure Framework.

“Alliance Leisure brings extensive experience, along with our specialist partners, and we look forward to working collaboratively with the council to shape a new, sustainable and inclusive leisure centre that meets the needs of the Brighton and Hove community, providing long-lasting improvements in physical and mental health and wellbeing.”

The council also said: “While the development of the new facility takes place, the intention is to keep the current facility open and operating for as long as is possible.”

Councillor Robins added: “The 80-year-old King Alfred Leisure Centre is beyond the end of its life and challenging to operate but it remains one of the most well-used facilities in the city.

“We’ll continue to do what we can to keep it open for as long as feasible while we progress our exciting new plans.

“The council and Freedom Leisure are committed to investing in the existing King Alfred Leisure Centre and making improvements where neede, to ensure residents continue to have access to a safe and accessible sports centre that meets the current needs of local residents.”

The council also outlined the next steps. It said: “Agreement on the design and the landowner’s consent for submission of a planning application will be sought at a cabinet meeting in summer 2025.

“The timeframe will be looked at by the professional team but a planning application is expected to be submitted by the end of 2025.

“Work will not begin on site before early 2026 and the facility is not expected to open before spring 2028.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 8

  1. Christopher Hawtree says:
    2 years ago

    No mention of design for the proposed housing towers…

    Reply
    • Diamonti says:
      2 years ago

      Yes, no mention. I fear the word design will be much abused in this whole project

      Reply
  2. Stan Reid says:
    2 years ago

    Send them a reminder about cladding,

    Reply
  3. BertY says:
    2 years ago

    I imagine the NIMBY groups will be “coming out of the woodwork” and start raising objections.

    Perhaps they should now consider the Hove Park Benfield site that’s coming free as a more suitable location for a brand new facility before it gets filled with apartment blocks?

    Reply
    • ChrisC says:
      2 years ago

      They’ve already considered that but opted to keep it where it is.

      Reply
      • Benjamin says:
        2 years ago

        Yeah, the public consultation wanted, at a greater expense to keep it where it is, rather than to move it, which I thought was interesting mentality.

        Reply
  4. MikeyMike says:
    2 years ago

    I have visited the website of the appointed contractors and am underwhelmed by their idea of design and architecture. How will they design something fit for Hove Seafront which will wow both tourists and locals? We already have a new and most distinctly uninviting tennis court which looks more like a prison exercise yard.

    Reply
  5. Derek says:
    2 years ago

    How is it being funded ?

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Western Road to close for more than a month for rebuilding

Couple and teen daughter die after getting into trouble in the sea

Huge response after four get in trouble in sea by Shoreham

Cognac, coins and comics seized by police investigating troubled property company

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

King Alfred design team appointed by council

Girl fights for her life after three family members die in sea incident

Brighton Wheel could be back by next summer

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Free family art space opens in North Laine

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Load More
January 2025
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News