• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
19 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Royal Albion Hotel owner submits plan for latest demolition work

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Thursday 12 Jun, 2025 at 10:02PM
A A
8
Royal Albion Hotel owner submits plan for latest demolition work

An application to demolish part of the fire-ravaged Royal Albion Hotel has been submitted to Brighton and Hove City Council almost two-years after the devastating blaze.

The retrospective application was submitted to the council and published on the council website on Monday (10 June).

It seeks permission to demolish the grade II listed old “Lion Mansion Hotel” which formed the western end of the Royal Albion.

The owner, Britannia Hotels, instructed the Brighton planning consultancy Lewis and Co to prepare its application which was described as “regularising” what had already happened.

The fire started on Saturday 15 July 2023 and ravaged the oldest part of the building on the seafront side in Grand Junction Road.

Part of the western end of the premises had to be demolished to reach the fire which destroyed the five-storey building down to the basement.

Much of the rest of the fire-damaged section was demolished for safety reasons by Brighton and Hove City Council, with the council footing the bill and looking to recover the cost.

What remained was said to be in a “poor condition” in a survey carried out in February by a Birmingham company, Structural Surveys, and submitted as part of the application.

The structural report said that “even a modest wind” could cause further cracking to the remaining three-storey wall which was demolished in March.

The Structural Surveys report said: “The imperative to undertake site clearance work in relation to the contaminated infilling that lies across the site and which in itself presents a significant risk has been considered.

“Such works could not, in our opinion, be safely undertaken with the remnants of the LMH (Lion Mansion Hotel) building to the rear in place in their current condition.”

The application said that the demolition of a grade II listed building without permission was a “serious matter”.

Britannia’s application said: “The report indicates that the remnants of the Lion Mansion Hotel (LMH) building were in a dangerous condition and liable to collapse, posing a significant risk to safety.

“As such, there was an urgent need to make the site safe.

“The fire had caused extensive damage, with the timber roof structure and internal timber flooring (essential for stability) having completely perished.

“The remaining sections of the LMH building were described as being in a state of unstable equilibrium, with the potential for catastrophic failure.

“The report also highlighted the presence of contaminated infilling material that needed to be removed which could not be done safely with the unstable remains of the LMH building in place.

“The report concluded that it was not possible to safely repair the damaged areas of the LMH building due to the severity of the fire and the loss of key structural elements.

“For the splayed section of the LMH building (to the south of the site), the report stated that it was not possible to see how it could be safely repaired in situ and recommended dismantling it.

“It is explicitly stated that it would not be safe to undertake works to improve the stability of the remaining elements of the LMH building in-situ.”

The council said that, in March, Britannia paid £500,000 towards the costs of making the building safe as talks continued over the seven-figure bill.

To see or comment on the retrospective application for planning permission and listed building consent, go to the council’s website and search for BH2025/01199 and BH2025/01200.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 8

  1. ChrisC says:
    11 months ago

    Council needs to be much more aggressive with Britannia on being reimbursed the significant costs incurred.

    In March it was revealed they still owned – despite a £500k payment – £ 1.2m. That bill is surely higher now.

    The fire was almost 2 years ago and Britannia have had plenty of time to sort this out.

    What’s need is a date in court not just “talks”

    Reply
  2. David Hughes says:
    11 months ago

    Unless Britannia pay the money that is owed to the council no licence to trade should be given !

    Reply
  3. Ann E Nicky says:
    11 months ago

    The council should take appropriate action to secure our money and funds. Currently interest rate on ccj is 8%. Britannia or their representatives/insurers should be liable for this plus all the other knock on effects. They are prevaricating so they can replace this heritage site with a boxy replacement.

    Reply
  4. Susan russell says:
    11 months ago

    Still waiting for pool valley coach station Brighton to open .no parking on the road for passengers. I like many people are disabled need the station to be open for sitting when required. Please re open the coach station .other business need it open to

    Reply
    • ChrisC says:
      11 months ago

      There is a bus stop with seats not far (about 250 feet) from the current NEX stop at the A&O Hostel.

      The NEX coaches to Gatwick / Heathrow / London do stop there for several minutes so there is no immediate rush to arrive as soon as the coach does.

      I know this isn’t ideal but the coach station simply won’t reopen until it is safe to do so and the pavement in front of the hostel is too narrow for seats to be installed.

      Reply
  5. Dave says:
    11 months ago

    Use this opportunity to demolish the entire building and put something half decent in its place, at the same time fixing pool valley so it’s not a total hell hole wind tunnel.

    Reply
  6. Chris says:
    11 months ago

    Clear the whole site and start again! Make the Pool Valley bus station smart and comfortable and way for Brighton buses to use it as interchange with National Express.

    Reply
  7. Susan russell says:
    11 months ago

    How much longer will this problem with pool valley coach station go on before it’s back in use again .I have been given to understand that the company working on the road not hotel. Is using the pool valley coach station for storage .not fair to residents shop club owners a service users

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Man charged with raping woman on Brighton beach

Developer plans 12-storey block of co-living flats

Two men appear in court charged with murder in Brighton

Royal Albion Hotel owner submits plan for latest demolition work

Care provider chosen to run council’s £6m new supported living scheme

Brighton woman charged after pro-Palestine protest in London

Pavement gullies for electric cars to be trialled

Controversial plaque commemorating slave owner removed

Former Brighton MP gives Burnham a boost

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Top 5 music performances during this year’s Official and Unofficial ‘Escapes’

Top 5 music performances during this year’s Official and Unofficial ‘Escapes’

18 May 2026
A Bank Holiday Weekend of Art, Music and Food  with Nabihah Iqbal: Imagined, Eternal

A Bank Holiday Weekend of Art, Music and Food with Nabihah Iqbal: Imagined, Eternal

18 May 2026
The Great Escape marks its 20th anniversary with triumphant celebration of new music

The Great Escape marks its 20th anniversary with triumphant celebration of new music

18 May 2026
Whisky Tango Foxtrot, Lantern Theatre, Brighton 22-23rd May 2026

Whisky Tango Foxtrot!

18 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
June 2025
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
  • Smurf line drug dealer jailed 13 May 2026
  • Patti Smith: A legend returns to Brighton Dome 13 May 2026
  • Driver arrested after woman dies in crash today 12 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News