• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Heatwave blamed for missed bin collections

by Sarah Booker-Lewis - local democracy reporter
Monday 27 Jul, 2026 at 9:35PM
A A
15
As missed bin collections increase, should we expect a strike?

A bin lorry in Southover Street in Brighton

The rate of missed rubbish collections suggests that Brighton and Hove City Council is not ready to go from weekly rounds to fortnightly, according to a senior councillor.

Conservative leader Alistair McNair cited the “appalling” rate of missed collections in his ward, Patcham and Hollingbury, including recycling and garden waste.

Councillor McNair told a meeting of the full council: “For a good month, we were being inundated with complaints. It felt like the Greens had taken over again. It was that bad.

“It started before the hot weather and there was no information coming out – and the council still insists fortnightly collections will begin.”

He wanted to know what needed to change in Environmental Services – the council’s rubbish and recycling service formerly known as Cityclean – for fortnightly collections to start.

Labour councillor Tim Rowkins apologised to Patcham and Hollingbury residents – and everyone in Brighton and Hove – who had received a “less than satisfactory” service.

Councillor Rowkins, the council’s cabinet member for net zero and environmental services, said that the heatwave had affected staff who wear personal protective equipment (PPE) which is not ideal in extreme heat.

Every round across Brighton and Hove had been cut short for a few days, resulting in a “significant backlog of missed collections” he said.

Councillor Rowkins said: “The day-to-day service in our refuse and recycling collections is now running better than it used to.

“The key problem we have is one of resilience, is what happens when things aren’t going to plan, and that’s why I spoke at length in the recent cabinet meeting earlier in July about the additional measures we’re bringing forward to increase that resilience.”

Councillor Rowkins said that no decisions had been made yet on when to bring in fortnightly collections – and improved reliability was essential before any change could be made.

New vehicles are on order to replace some in the ageing fleet, councillors were told, with 10 due to arrive by December. It takes 18 months from ordering for a new vehicle to arrive.

The exchange took place at the full council meeting at Hove Town Hall on Thursday (23 July).

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 15

  1. Malvern says:
    3 weeks ago

    Not sure I noticed any difference!

    Reply
    • Cathy B says:
      3 weeks ago

      Exactly. Another day, another excuse from the council about the decades long missed bin collection saga.
      Snow, ice, heatwaves, old collections vehicles, no in cab technology about where collections are missed, and loads more reasons given by politicians, but very little ever mentioned by Labour councillors about “political interference” referenced in the KC report during their previous administration that’s mentioned in the 2023 KC report as something picked up in the earlier 2019 Gerry Doherty report as a reason for improvements were not being made.

      Why the silence on something an independent investigation found, when there is so much noise on all these other excuses being rolled out by politicians! Extreme weather events are now a fact of life and a reality. The fact the council continues to plan ahead and has no reslience in the system is still a problem, it shouldn’t be after all the years of analysis and reports.

      Reply
      • Gabe says:
        3 weeks ago

        You can have much-improved public services if you’re willing to fund them.

        Reply
  2. R says:
    3 weeks ago

    Typical BHCC.
    Want to bring in fortnightly collections but can’t collect them in the current weekly format.
    Always hearing excuses of why they can’t do regular collections rather than what they are doing to make sure they are collecting the refuse regularly.
    Rolled out food waste bins even with alot of objections due to the lack of service across the city with normal refuse, let alone recycling and then adding food waste and more collections on top.
    You have to get a service running smoothly, right & consistently before you can even consider making changes.
    All well and good upgrading the refuse trucks to more modern, reliable and environmentally friendly vehicles. But new trucks for a service that has been inundated with issues continually, is just trying to make the service looks better than it is, almost like putting a plaster over a massive cut that needs stitches.
    BHCC need to get a grip.
    We have a huge amount of seagulls in the city as well as a lot of foxes and rats. Which in the area I live in, thrive on missed refuse collections and food waste bins being left out for collection. Making the area I live in an absolute mess.
    These animals are wild and need to eat so if there is overflowing refuse and food waste bins. They’ve hit the jackpot.
    You want to be a cleaner, greener and more welcoming city not only for the residents and businesses but also visitors and tourists to the city.
    But have hiked the council tax up yet again this year by almost 5% and still can’t get basic council services right.
    Unbelievable.
    Maybe start by getting the refuse and collection service right, day in day out before you even consider bringing in further changes or less collections. And stop making excuses for the missed collections. Like hot weather or the wrong PPE.
    Maybe provide the correct PPE and prepare for adverse weather conditions in advanced. It’s not like the weather isn’t on the tv, radio or apps on phones. To make contingency plans knowing the forecast. It’s not good enough BHCC. Do better!

    Reply
  3. Benjamin™ says:
    3 weeks ago

    Councillor McNair appears to be once again misrepresenting figures to try to land a point, poorly. He fails to account for the fact that communal bins are not part of the changes, and was quite rightly pointed to the extreme heatwave being a rather unique situation this month.

    Reply
    • Chris says:
      3 weeks ago

      What about last month Benjamin ?

      Reply
      • Benjamin™ says:
        3 weeks ago

        Well, that’s not what McNair was referring to, as he specifically was talking about this month. However, taking that into account, is Rowkins right then to focus on resilience?

        Reply
  4. Trevor Alford says:
    3 weeks ago

    When we lived in B& H, there was always a reason for collection interruption. Usually hinged on the lefty workforce striking for more money, or better Ts and Cs. Living in Portchester for 12 years, there has never been an interruption in service ever.

    Reply
    • Gabe says:
      3 weeks ago

      Thanks for popping in.

      Reply
  5. Mike Gamyn says:
    3 weeks ago

    Oh no! People don’t want to be exploited by their wmployer and we can’t be having that, can we?!

    Reply
  6. Lisa says:
    3 weeks ago

    It’s strange that neighbouring Councils managed to keep up with their scheduled rounds in the same hot weather & with crews wearing the same PPE. In fact BHCC have two shifts now to keep up with the work & still can’t. It’s almost like the managers might be part of the issue & not just the staff…

    Reply
    • Benjamin™ says:
      3 weeks ago

      Neighbouring councils are much smaller.

      Reply
      • BertY says:
        3 weeks ago

        How does the size of a council affect the ability to collect refuse and recycling?

        Surely they just have to provide sufficient resources (staff, machinery, and management) to deliver the defined service?

        In fact, due to increased efficiency due to the size of operations, a larger number of customers should improve service and reduce costs.

        Reply
        • Benjamin™ says:
          3 weeks ago

          Because larger areas take a longer time to collect, or require a larger number of resources to collect within the same time. That also increases costs as you are maintaining 4-5 vehicles instead of 1 for example. If you wanted cover all your trucks with a backup unit, you’re now considering 10 vehicles instead of 2, etc, etc.

          Basically, larger areas have more points where things can go wrong!

          Reply
  7. Lisa says:
    3 weeks ago

    Not really. Adur & Worthing run a joint service which is well organised & efficient. Other Sussex authorities likewise. BHCC have not managed to reorganise their work since the disastrous round updates from around 2016. Until they admit that & get someone competent in to run the service nothing will change. After all remember Rachel ‘I’ll turn it round in two years’ Chasseaud? That memorable statement was made around 2018 yet here we are. Administrations come & go. Directors come & go, the union has been flushed out yet still it doesn’t work. What’s left I wonder?

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Heatwave blamed for missed bin collections

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury Flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

14 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
July 2026
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News