• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton housing campaign praised in the House of Lords

by Frank le Duc
Friday 13 Jun, 2014 at 10:26PM
A A
0

A campaign to improve housing standards in Brighton won praise in the House of Lords this week.

Labour peer Lady Hayter of Kentish Town, the Shadow Consumer Minister, spoke about the Home Sweet Home campaign during a debate about the Queen’s speech.

Lady Hayter – formerly known as Dianne Hayter and sometimes referred to as Baroness Hayter – said the campaign highlighted the need for reform in private rented sector housing.

She said: “It was Labour—indeed, in this house—which saw an extension of the ombudsman scheme from estate agents to letting agents.

“However, there is more to do. We must support consumers, the poor and disadvantaged.

“Take ‘generation rent’, where the number of private renters, now nine million, has surpassed those in social housing for the first time.

Dianne Hayter
Lady Hayter of Kentish Town

“Private tenants face an insecurity that few of us would tolerate. They are 10 times more likely to move home per year than homeowners and a third of them moved last year.

“Yet surely they deserve the same stability as homeowners. So Labour will legislate to make three-year tenancies with predicable rents the norm.

“This is not rent control. I am old enough to remember that. This is about certainty and fairness.

“Tenants are now paying £1,000 a year more than when this government came into office.

“That is great for letting agents but what is unfair is not letting agents’ legitimate business but double charging, when both landlord and tenant pay for the same service.

“More than 90 per cent of letting agents impose charges on tenants on top of deposits and rent in advance – and charge them high fees for simple tasks such as renewing a contract.

“Labour will ban letting agents’ fees for tenants which will save families up to £500.

“I congratulate my honourable friends in the other place, Stella Creasy, Hilary Benn and Emma Reynolds, whose efforts on this got the Consumer Minister in the Commons to announce just yesterday that the government will amend the Consumer Rights Bill to force letting agents to display their fees, with a civil penalty of up to £5,000 to be paid by any agent who fails to do that.

“That is a welcome move. However, landlords, not tenants, choose the letting agents, so there is still nothing a tenant can do even if the letting agent is double charging.

“Movement for Change’s ‘Home Sweet Home’ campaign in Brighton saw tenants who were stuck with broken back doors, broken bedroom windows, or no hot water or heating over Christmas.

“Such conditions are unacceptable.

“We must raise the standards of letting agents. Anyone can set up as an agent, including people with no qualification in landlord and tenant law and, more seriously, people with convictions or even those on the sex offenders’ register.

“There is not even a requirement for clients’ money to be kept in separate accounts.

“As I said, thanks to this House we have legislated to require agents to belong to an ombudsman but the government held back from enabling repeated poor behaviour to lead to a letting agent being struck off.

Councillor Bill Randall
Councillor Bill Randall

“Because individual consumers have little bargaining power when up against business, we will seek to improve the carried-over Consumer Rights Bill, not simply to codify rights but to enhance such rights to allow for collective redress where consumer law has been breached and to make retailers and service providers signpost access to an ombudsman.

“Our aim is for consumers to have information, advocacy and redress across all markets. That is good for shoppers but also good for business as it drives up standards.”

The Home Sweet Home campaign has been talking to tenants, landlords, and agents in Brighton and Hove since July last year.

It has uncovered stories of poor practices in some areas of the private rented sector.

In recent months the campaign has been working to turn the stories and research into practical changes to improve private rented housing in Brighton and Hove.

The campaigners have been working with the Students’ Union at Brighton University and have published a tenant guide to better inform students of their rights and responsibilities when renting.

They produced this with the help and advice of the Residential Landlords Association.

Representatives of the campaign have also met the Brighton and Hove City Council Housing Committee chairman Councillor Bill Randall for help and support for private tenants.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

School building to become temporary charity hub

Toilet tax plan to hit those in greatest need, say critics

Brighton housing campaign praised in the House of Lords

New mural encourages tourists into the North Laine

Ex-PM sends claims about former prince to Sussex Police

Café can become gym after plans approved

Council plans to close day centre for people with learning disabilities

Brighton PC barred from policing for dishonesty

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

by George Sessions - PA
21 February 2026
0

Brentford 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 2 Brighton and Hove Albion marked James Milner’s record-breaking 654th Premier League appearance with...

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

by Frank le Duc
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are to start with four changes at Brentford to the side that lost to Liverpool in...

Hürzeler says Brighton and Hove Albion may need to ‘win ugly’

Brighton and Hove Albion boss urges everyone to stay positive

by PA sport staff
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has urged everyone involved with the club to stay positive despite the side’s...

Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Load More
June 2014
M T W T F S S
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30  
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Driver arrested after man dies in crash late last night 21 February 2026
  • Ex-PM sends memo about former prince to Sussex Police 20 February 2026
  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News