• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

‘Hero’ schoolboy Archie, 11, saves mother and brother from burning home

by Jo Wadsworth
Wednesday 24 Sep, 2014 at 12:00PM
A A
6
‘Hero’ schoolboy Archie, 11, saves mother and brother from burning home

Archie and Wilfred

An 11-year-old Brighton boy has been hailed a hero by his family for getting them out of the house after their kitchen caught on fire.

Archie and Wilfred
Archie and Wilfred

Archie Miller, who goes to Dorothy Stringer school, had to shake his mum Charlotte and younger brother Wilfred, six, awake as they were already drowsy from the smoke filling the house in Princes Crescent in the early hours of Monday morning.

Now his proud mum wants everyone to know how incredible he is.

Charlotte Smart, 35, said: “Archie woke up to the smell of smoke filling the bedrooms above the kitchen and the fire alarms going off.

“Wilfred and I didn’t wake up because the smoke was already affecting us. Archie had to shake me awake and was screaming. I ran into a wall and tripped over a chair because the smoke was so thick.

“I got Wilfred and put him over my shoulder. We had to climb out of a third floor window onto a flat roof because the smoke was too thick to go downstairs.

“We stood there in our pants screaming for help, and our neighbour heard us and called 999. We climbed down into our neighbours garden, and the firefighters arrived and put out the fire.

“Archie was just incredible – if he hadn’t woken up and got us out I dread to think what would have happened.

“He also got his younger brother on the roof and helped him down. He’s a hero.”

The fire was started by a dishwasher which had been switched on as usual by Charlotte before the family went to bed.

Firefighters used two breathing apparatus and a hose reel jet to tackle the fire. They then used an industrial fan to clear the smoke.

The family were treated for smoke inhalation by paramedics at the scene.

Charlotte Smart
Charlotte Smart

Now, Charlotte, a learning and behaviour mentor at Hertford Infant School, is searching for a temporary home while the extensive smoke damage to the house is repaired.

Wilfred goes to Davigdor Infant School, and so the family is looking for a two bedroom home for at least the next month in a central location near the 46, 26, or 50 bus route in the North Laine, Upper North Street, Ditchling road, or Montpelier areas. 

If you can help, email brightonandhovenews@gmail.com.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 6

  1. Nate diMaggio says:
    12 years ago

    Well done young lad, there should be more young people like you around, love to you and your family

    Reply
  2. annie mitchell says:
    12 years ago

    omg archie
    well done

    Reply
  3. Dylan Bailey says:
    12 years ago

    We’ll done Archie we all miss u at batch ! 🙂

    Reply
  4. malachi charach says:
    12 years ago

    Welldone arch

    Reply
  5. Tobi says:
    12 years ago

    Well done for saving your family. I hope you find a house. Tobi

    Reply
  6. Kate anderson says:
    12 years ago

    Well done archie

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

‘Hero’ schoolboy Archie, 11, saves mother and brother from burning home

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Fire safety breaches leave Brighton landlord with £11k bill

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
September 2014
M T W T F S S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
  • Golf teacher rapist given 21-year sentence 17 August 2026
  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News