• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
18 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton council meeting suspended after union sit-in

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 20 Sep, 2016 at 6:01PM
A A
3
Key questions to be decided at marathon meeting of Brighton and Hove councillors today

A city council committee meeting was suspended this evening after union members angry at the ongoing problems with privatised patient transport service occupied the town hall.
Hove Town Hall 1
Those in the packed public seating were asked to leave meeting at Hove Town Hall but refused. The stand-off lasted for nearly an hour before protesters left and the meeting resumed.

The protest was over serious issues with the Coperforma contract. These have included patients delayed for and missing vital appointments, drivers losing their jobs and being owed several weeks’ worth of pay after two subcontractors went bust. And six control room staff who joined Coperforma from the NHS have been suspended.

However, the agenda of the meeting of the Brighton and Hove City Council Health and Wellbeing Board did not include this issue today (Tuesday 20 September).

The meeting was told that up to 20 staff had not been paid for six weeks – and the row erupted when one of them asked to address the meeting but was refused.

Health and Wellbeing Board chairman Councillor Dan Yates said that it was a board meeting held in public not a public meeting and the first hour had been given over to hearing questions and receiving a petition from the public. Some of the discussion had already been about the patient transport service.

Councillor Yates spoke to some of the ambulance staff during the interruption to hear their concerns and explain what the board was doing.

Earlier he told the meeting: “There have been a succession of headlines and stories about the patient transport service … The story around the patient transport service is very bad at the moment.

“I have contacted High Weald Lewes Havens Clinical Commissioning Group about some of the more serious issues.”

Labour councillors had pledged their support for the union at a group meeting yesterday evening.

Strong message of solidarity from @bhlabour group this evening to unpaid PTS members this evening Mark. @GMBSussexBranch @jannerinsussex

— Daniel Yates (@danieljyates) September 19, 2016

Earlier this afternoon, committee member Councillor Caroline Penn told the Health and Wellbeing Board: “There is a lot of anger at this situation from patients, their families and staff, and rightly so.

“For staff to go without wages for up to six weeks, to pay for petrol out of their own pocket and for the GMB to have to set up a hardship fund for staff – this is completely unacceptable.

“It has been a deeply flawed procurement process, for which High Weald Lewes Havens CCG and Coperforma must take responsibility.

“There is an urgent need to ensure staff to be treated fairly and for patients to have the guarantee that a fully functioning service is maintained.”

The patient transport service was run by the South East Coast Ambulance Service (Secamb) until April when Coperforma took over.

Secamb declined to run the service after Sussex CCGs, led by High Weald Lewes Havens CCG, redesigned the way that it wanted it to run.

The first Coperforma subcontractor VM Langfords collapsed with debts of more than £444,000, according to a statement of affairs filed with Companies House. More than £100,000 was owed to the taxman.

Work was transferred to another, Docklands, but this also went bust last week, blaming Coperforma which it previously said owed it a six-figure sum and more than £1.2 million in total to its subcontractors.

A hardship fund has been set up by the GMB to raise money for affected drivers and local councillors have donated to this – click here to contribute.
More follows.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 3

  1. Bob Pendlebury says:
    10 years ago

    Not at all happy about SECAMB being replaced by private contractors…why was this done in the first place?

    Reply
    • paul restell says:
      10 years ago

      This was done when Secamb advised they couldn’t provide a service for the amount the CCG were offering. How then can a smaller firm make it work???

      Reply
    • andy chapman says:
      10 years ago

      thankyou bob.I was at meeting and work for Docklands .The situation is absolutely farcical and the ccgs and coperforma seem beyond reproach. The decision making by these groups beggars belief and staff and patients continue to suffer .They don’t care about patient care or staff wellbeing and should all be removed from their posts !

      Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Former Brighton MP gives Burnham a boost

Pavement gullies for electric cars to be trialled

Brighton council meeting suspended after union sit-in

Drowned women now identified, police believe

Labour picks candidate for Goldsmid by-election

Man charged with raping woman on Brighton beach

Care provider chosen to run council’s £6m new supported living scheme

Woman admits pulling fellow mum’s braids out and smashing glasses during school run attack

New Greggs update: A27 traffic chaos to end within 24 hours, says MP

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
SORA pop up to bring a layer of class to Malmaison

SORA pop up to bring a layer of class to Malmaison

18 May 2026
Biscuit Barrel, Brighton Fringe, Komedia Studio, 10th & 17th May 2026

A Biscuit Barrel Full Of Energy

18 May 2026
credit - Claire Gaby

Tonight – Bert and Nasi

17 May 2026

MEAT – preview

17 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex chase impressive first innings total at Somerset

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
16 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 22-1 (5.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (4 points) by 504 runs Centuries...

Load More
September 2016
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
  • Smurf line drug dealer jailed 13 May 2026
  • Patti Smith: A legend returns to Brighton Dome 13 May 2026
  • Driver arrested after woman dies in crash today 12 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News