• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home 999

Babes in the Wood double murder trial – Russell Bishop fails to appear in court

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 4 Dec, 2018 at 12:02PM
A A
0
Man arrested over ‘Babes in the Wood’ murder of two Brighton girls

Nicola Fellows and Karen Hadaway

At the Babes in the Wood double murder trial, the defendant Russell Bishop has failed to turn up in court.

Bishop, 52, formerly of Stephens Road, Hollingdean, is accused of murdering Nicola Fellows and Karen Hadaway, both nine, in Wild Park, Moulsecoomb, in October 1986.

He was later convicted and jailed for abducting a seven-year-old girl in Whitehawk and driving her to the Devil’s Dyke where he sexually assaulted and tried to murder her.

But having last week refused to continue to be cross-examined by the prosecutor Brian Altman, today (Tuesday 4 December) Bishop failed to leave his prison cell as the case neared its conclusion.

The case continued in his absence with Mr Altman telling the jury that Bishop was a coward and a hypocrite who had “thrown in the towel” and “refused to go the distance”.

He said that Bishop may have been irritated because his sexual interest in young girls had been shown clearly to the jury under cross-examination.

He said: “He is a coward to refuse to continue his evidence before you and he is a cowardly paedophile who thinks nothing of attacking a seven-year-old child and, on the evidence we suggest, killing two nine-year-old girls purely for his own sexual gratification.”

And he added that Bishop, a former roofer, had nothing to lose by smearing one of the girls’ fathers, blaming Barrie Fellows for the murders.

Mr Altman said: “These are the very serious things that are being alleged about Barrie Fellows, who let us not forget, lost his daughter.”

The prosecutor criticised Marion Stevenson, who was Bishop’s 16-year-old girlfriend at the time of the murders.

He criticised her “wholly unreliable evidence”, saying that she gave an interview to the News of the World before the verdict in Bishop’s first trial in 1987.

In the interview she accused Barrie Fellows of watching a pornographic video featuring his daughter.

It was, Mr Altman said, a kind of insurance policy at the behest of Bishop’s mother Sylvia Bishop in the belief that he would be found guilty at his first trial.

She had not told anyone previously even though such evidence would have been important.

And, Mr Altman added: “Barrie Fellows is not on trial here.

“The defendant is playing for very high stakes and it’s a game of stick or twist and he’s decided to twist.

“He’s nothing much to lose by approaching the case in this way.

“What you have seen unfolding before your eyes is – quite deliberately – the creation of a smokescreen in the hope that he will literally get away with murder for a second time.”

Murder victims Nicola Fellows and Karen Hadaway

Mr Altman said that the claims against Barrie Fellows just didn’t add up – such as the missing hour in his account of events.

Given corroborating evidence of his whereabouts and when, if he had somehow gone home via Wild Park, Mr Altman said, he would have been fitter and faster than Olympic sprinter Usain Bolt.

Besides, Mr Altman said, Marion Stevenson told no one about the alleged video except the News of the World because “it was all an attempt to smear Barrie Fellows”.

Mr Altman said that Marion Stevenson was vulnerable, under the influence of alcohol and cannabis, and felt that she had been manipulated by everyone in this case.

He dismissed her claims about Barrie Fellows watching a video featuring his lodger Dougie Judd sexually abusing Nicola Fellows.

He said: “Every day she said nothing was another day that Nicola was being abused.

“She said that she was just 16 at the time and that this was not her world.”

Russell Bishop

She claimed that the police had asked her to extract a confession from Bishop in bed in the flat at 17 Stephens Road.

The police bugged the flat, Marion Stevenson said, and that the defendant had found a bug planted there by the police, she claimed.

There was no such bug, Mr Altman said, adding: “There was a recording device placed on the household phone with her parents’ consent – but she didn’t know about that.”

She was a “wholly unreliable witness who was being exploited by the defendant’s mother and the defendant himself and she is still being exploited by the defendant”.

The trial continues.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

New bus route to start next month

New mayor takes over in Brighton and Hove

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Babes in the Wood double murder trial – Russell Bishop fails to appear in court

Palm house turned into butterfly garden

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Odeon developer asks permission for 12-month ad shroud

Pub tile developer asks court to make council pay his costs

Funeral fundraiser for three sisters recovered off Brighton beach launched

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 7: 29 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 7: 29 reviews)

22 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 6: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 6: 25 reviews)

22 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 5: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 5: 25 reviews)

22 May 2026
SORA pop up to bring a layer of class to Malmaison

SORA arrives at Malmaison Brighton Marina

22 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
December 2018
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  
« Nov   Jan »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Detective arrested on suspicion of drink driving 21 May 2026
  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News