• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Former Brighton Argus journalist sacked during phone hacking investigation

by Frank le Duc
Saturday 23 Jul, 2011 at 1:39PM
A A
1

A journalist who worked at The Argus in Brighton has been sacked from The Sun.

Matt Nixson was dismissed as an internal investigation seeks to establish the extent of phone hacking at The Sun’s defunct sister title, the News of the World.

Mr Nixson was head of features at The Sun until Thursday (21 July) having worked there for six months.

His computer was seized and Mr Nixson, who left the Hollingbury-based Argus almost ten years ago, was escorted from the newspaper’s Wapping offices.

A report in The Guardian cited anonymous sources at the company that owns The Sun – News International – saying that this was standard procedure.

The anonymous sources said that Mr Nixson’s dismissal did not indicate any wrongdoing during his time at The Sun.

Brighton media commentator Roy Greenslade noted that, just an hour before his departure, Mr Nixson was defending the paper in an email to a public relations executive from Brighton and Hove.

Criticisms

He was responding to criticisms made by Michael Taggart which were published on Wednesday (20 July) by the Sydney Morning Herald.

Mr Taggart, a consultant for the London PR firm MRM, worked at The Sun in 2003 when Rebekah Wade – now Rebekah Brooks – was editor.

He later moved to Hove and became a senior PR executive at Brighton and Hove City Council. He also writes a blog.

According to Sydney Morning Herald, Mr Taggart said that The Sun under Rebekah Brooks was marked by “’ruthlessness and misogyny’”.

“’The reporters who were prepared to subject themselves and others to the most ridicule were the ones earmarked for success.”

He described routinely participating in overnight stakeouts, something that he said was rare at other papers he had worked for.

Slappers

And he said that attitudes towards women did not improve under Mrs Brooks, adding: “We were regularly encouraged to refer to women with misogynistic names like tarts, slappers or hookers in our copy if there was conceivably any question mark over their sexual proclivities.

“We were expected to childishly objectify women.

“So blonde-haired women were described as beauties and generously chested women ‘looked swell’.”

Mr Taggart said yesterday on Twitter that he thought Mr Nixson had been “shafted”.

News International issued a statement saying: “News Corporation’s Management and Standards Committee (MSC) can confirm that News International today terminated the contract of a member of staff in relation to his previous work at the News of the World.

“The MSC is authorised to co-operate fully with all relevant investigations and inquiries in the News of the World phone hacking case, police payments and all other related issues across News International, as well as conducting its own inquiries where appropriate.”

Separately the BBC reported that the News of the World hired a private investigator to follow a Labour MP during the party’s annual conference in Brighton two years ago.

The BBC said that Tom Watson, a long-time critic of News International and its ultimate head, Rupert Murdoch, was kept under surveillance while he was in the town.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Blubber says:
    15 years ago

    Maybe the Argus can send a photographer round to snap him looking suitably doleful and hey presto, there’s another one of their famous simpering victim shots for the inside pages.
    It’s an ill wind and all that.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Toilet tax plan to hit those in greatest need, say critics

Parents angry over failings that led to school closure plan

Council plans to close day centre for people with learning disabilities

School building to become temporary charity hub

Former Brighton Argus journalist sacked during phone hacking investigation

Ex-PM sends claims about former prince to Sussex Police

Hospital marks milestone in £62m A&E modernisation

Brighton PC barred from policing for dishonesty

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion mark Milner’s record with win at Brentford

by George Sessions - PA
21 February 2026
0

Brentford 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 2 Brighton and Hove Albion marked James Milner’s record-breaking 654th Premier League appearance with...

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

Brighton and Hove Albion to start with four changes at Brentford

by Frank le Duc
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion are to start with four changes at Brentford to the side that lost to Liverpool in...

Hürzeler says Brighton and Hove Albion may need to ‘win ugly’

Brighton and Hove Albion boss urges everyone to stay positive

by PA sport staff
21 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has urged everyone involved with the club to stay positive despite the side’s...

Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Load More
July 2011
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
« Jun   Aug »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Driver arrested after man dies in crash late last night 21 February 2026
  • Ex-PM sends memo about former prince to Sussex Police 20 February 2026
  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News