• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton and Hove Albion

Albion training ground extension approved

by Jo Wadsworth
Tuesday 14 May, 2019 at 2:03PM
A A
0
Albion training ground extension approved

photo by Paul Hazelwood

photo by Paul Hazelwood

Work to extend Brighton and Hove Albion’s training ground can now kick off after being approved by Adur District Council.

The work will see the Premier League club invest £22m into building a ‘Club Hub’ and three more pitches at the ground in Lancing.

The hub will include changing areas for the women’s and girls teams, which are currently based at the University of Sussex.

With the site due to be expanded and the existing pitches and floodlights to be rearranged, there were questions from members of the planning committee on Monday night about the impact of noise and light on nearby homes.

Speaking at the meeting, Matthew Russell, of Bramble Farm, which sits across the railway line from the ground, said his family already endured such problems, often for three to five hours per day.

As well as noise from matches held on the show pitch, he described strimmers and mowers ‘going around in an army’ to keep the grounds neat.

Mr Russell said one of his horses had bolted due to the lights and noise – including a firework – from one match.

He added: “We were told it was a one-off match where they played until 11pm. Two to three days later they had another match and all we heard was shouting and screaming.

“They don’t seem to restrict and make sure that their spectators abide by the rules that were imposed on them from the on-set.”

There was support for the application from Brian Boggis (Con, Peverel) who said the club had ‘proven themselves to be good neighbours’.

Mr Boggis added that there had only been six complaints in the past two years, all of which had been addressed.

He said: “Objectors have asked why Brighton & Hove Albion keep returning for additional improvements. The response is clearly that, to be a centre of excellence, you need to keep moving forward.

“As well as the fact that the FA is continuously demanding improvements in facilities for training, particularly of young people.”

The meeting was told that 450 Sussex schools had spent 36,000 hours using the club’s facilities since the ground opened.

The expansion will also include an advanced medical and sports science facilities, yoga and pilates studio and changing rooms, which would be accessible for people with complex needs.

The club hopes that work would begin in the summer.

After the meeting, council leader Neil Parkin said: “I am pleased to see Albion continue their investment in Lancing and the wider district.

“This is a Premier League investment by a Premier League club which will create world-class accessible facilities for footballers across Sussex.

“Albion have shown that they are committed to investing in our community and I look forward to continuing to work this partnership for many years to come.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Albion training ground extension approved

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury Flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

14 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
May 2019
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Apr   Jun »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News