• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton hotel bosses make concessions in bid for new drinks licence

by Frank le Duc
Monday 24 Jun, 2019 at 7:51PM
A A
1
Hotel neighbours tell of drunk guests on their doorsteps

Artist Residence

The bosses of a Brighton hotel offered concessions as they tried to persuade a panel of councillors to grant them a replacement licence to sell alcoholic drinks.

They said that smokers would no longer be able to take drinks outside the Artist Residence in Regency Square.

And the number of smokers allowed outside after 7pm would be limited to eight, with a staff member monitoring the steps and street.

The concessions were offered to try to meet the concerns of neighbours, police and licensing chiefs after the hotel was found to have previously been breaking the rules.

The Artist Residence’s drinks licence application was considered by a Brighton and Hove City Council licensing panel at Hove Town Hall today (Monday 24 June).

The panel of three councillors is due to deliver its verdict within five working days.

The hotel’s management had two licences covering the two properties that became the hotel.

The owners are seeking a single – later – licence for the entire premises after it came to the attention of Sussex Police and council licensing officers.

Breaches included a pop-up bar – the Trashed Panda – operating in the basement until midnight, outside the licensed area and hours, as well as broken CCTV cameras. The bar has since been renamed the Sneaky Panda.

Mark Browning, the Artist Residence’s barrister, said: “Trashed Panda did make it sound like a rave was going on.

“It is tiny. Everybody in there is seated. You cannot stand in there and those 14 people are served by a waiter or waitress.

“It was a small thing and a misunderstanding that this area was part of the licence.

“We haven’t had complaints. We have worked closely with neighbours.”

By April, when the new application was submitted, the hotel was complying properly with the conditions of its existing licences, it said.

But the police, council officers, the Regency Square Area Society and several neighbours still raised objections, with concerns including noise, litter and anti-social behaviour.

Artist Residence

Police licensing officer Hannah Staplehurst wanted the licence to have a condition attached so that anyone drinking in the restaurant – known as The Set – had to be seated.

Hotel owner Justin Salisbury told the council licensing panel that eating out had changed in the past five years, with customers preferring a more casual approach.

He said: “Habits have changed. If people want to have a drink or a meal, we have to be flexible.”

But hotel manager Lucy Baylis said that restaurant customers expected to receive table service and were unlikely to stand at a bar.

A compromise was suggested that would mean two of the rooms in the restaurant having licence conditions which restricted the serving of alcohol to those having a meal. And food would always be available in the bar.

Mike Davies, from the Regency Square Area Society, said that the hotel was a good neighbour, adding: “When there are issues or problems, there are the right meetings to address problems and chase those problems out.”

Mr Davies, who said that about 600 people lived in Regency Square, also said: “We are assured but still made a submission because a few things are jarring.”

Residents’ concerns also included a courtyard at the back of the hotel as well as outdoor seating and crowds of smokers gathering outside.

At the licensing panel at Hove Town Hall, it was suggested that the back courtyard stay open only until 9pm. The panel was told that it was used mainly for lunchtime dining.

Tables had been removed from the area outside the hotel, the panel was told, and Mr Browning said that it would surrender its street licence.

The panel was chaired by Labour councillor Jackie O’Quinn, sitting with Conservative councillor Dee Simson and Labour councillor Carmen Appich.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Penny Gilbey says:
    7 years ago

    It is not for applicants to offer concessions, it is for the Licensing committee to put their own conditions on the license.
    It is fir the panel to decide if there is vertical drinking or only drinks seated with a meal, not about habits changing or food just being available.
    Licensing policies locally are very clear.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

New bus route to start next month

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

Brighton hotel bosses make concessions in bid for new drinks licence

Odeon developer asks permission for 12-month ad shroud

Restaurant could lose licence in row over noisy fan

Councillors vote to close oldest school in Brighton

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Emma Rice brings Malory Towers to Brighton Festival with music, mischief and midnight feasts

Midnight feasts, mischief and mayhem: Emma Rice’s Malory Towers delights at Brighton Festival

21 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 2: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival & beyond (Part 2: 25 reviews)

21 May 2026
It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

21 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

21 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
June 2019
M T W T F S S
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
« May   Jul »

RSS From Sussex News

  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News