• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
21 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Revised plan for controversial Brighton road layout scheme to be shared with councillors

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 22 Oct, 2019 at 12:23PM
A A
10
Revised plan for controversial Brighton road layout scheme to be shared with councillors

The Valley Gardens Forum hopes to persuade councillors that its proposals would provide better value and improve the area for cyclists, pedestrians and bus passengers

Alternative plans for a controversial road layout scheme in the centre of Brighton are to be shared with councillors this week.

The Valley Gardens Forum, a group of residents and businesses, is due to present its vision for the project known as “Valley Gardens phase 3” to Brighton and Hove City Council at Hove Town Hall on Thursday (24 October).

It proposes keeping bicycles away from the main road traffic in the Old Steine area, making key junctions safer for pedestrians and retaining the Aquarium roundabout.

The project’s main funder, the Coast to Capital Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP), said that the scheme offered low value for money.

But last week it approved a £6 million grant towards the £8 million cost of phase 3 of the project.

The scheme is intended to make the Valley Gardens area – between St Peter’s Church and the seafront – better for cyclists, pedestrians and those using public transport.

Critics are concerned that phase 3 – the southern end of the scheme – would not only choke traffic but would also choke cyclists and pedestrians as it appears to add to pollution levels by design.

It has attracted widespread opposition from tourism chiefs, business bosses, the taxi trade and some bus companies and passenger groups, among others.

The Forum said: “The council appears to have acknowledged that community and stakeholder involvement may have fallen short over the last year.

“There is talk of inviting residents and business leaders to be part of a ‘task and finish group’ and ‘workshops’ to develop the detailed design.

“To that end, the release of the Valley Gardens Forum’s alternative plan for Valley Gardens phase 3 may be timely.

The Valley Gardens Froum’s annotated alternative plan is intended to build on the best of the council’s proposals for the Old Steine area

“First sketched in January this year in response to a request from the Coast to Capital Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP), it has been through several iterations with continuing community stakeholder consultation – and is based on the best elements of the council’s earlier design options.

“Forum member Serena Burt will present the attached annotated plan to the full council meeting this week.

“At the same meeting, Conservative councillors Joe Miller and Robert Nemeth will introduce the following motion.

“Ensure that Valley Gardens phase 3 is subject to a full environmental impact assessment and that the Duke’s Mound junction proposal will be subject to a full public consultation in the context that it not only impacts Valley Gardens phase 3 but also impacts on the A259 coastal road and the Waterfront/Blackrock development.

“The Valley Gardens Forum has been calling for a full environmental impact assessment for almost a year.

The Valley Gardens Forum hopes to persuade councillors that its proposals would provide better value and improve the area for cyclists, pedestrians and bus passengers

“The council’s Valley Gardens phase 3 ‘stage 2’ report casually states ‘no air or noise modelling has been undertaken’.

“Satisfying this request need not be politicised. Whether or not required under statute, with citizens’ concerns about the air they breathe close to the top of the local political agenda, why object?

“Following the recent People’s Parliament event, independent councillor Bridget Fishleigh wrote to our three Labour and Green MPs to ask them to support our call for an environmental impact assessment over the whole Valley Gardens project.

“Carrying it out would be a key step in restoring the community’s confidence in the scheme.”

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 10

  1. Max says:
    7 years ago

    The Coast to Capital Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP)is right to say this alternative is poor. It forces cyclists and pedestrians into conflict and keeps the Aquarium junction very dangerous.

    Reply
    • Rolivan says:
      7 years ago

      Perhaps Cyclists could use Pool Valley as an entrance and exit from The Old Steine if they want to access the Seafront Cycle Lane and use the East St Crossing?

      Reply
      • Rob Arbery says:
        7 years ago

        Ironically the Valley Gardens forum suggested this but even though the entrance is wide enough for coaches we were told by the cycling lobby it’s not wide enough for cyclists? Pool Valley would make a great cycle park and the coaches are happy not to use it. But we all know this isn’t about improving cycling access/ pedestrian safety or uptake on public transport. It’s all about making it tougher and less attractive to drive through Brighton.

        Reply
  2. sheila says:
    7 years ago

    Max, it was the council’s plan that was poor value for money. Most of the accidents near the roundabout involve cyclist riding into pedestrians.

    Reply
  3. Kevin Smith says:
    7 years ago

    It’s astonishing if there has been no Environmental Impact Assessment. The council say they want to be carbon neutral, but deliberately creating extra congestion will do the opposite. Seems like Labour and Greens might not be so green if they won’t allow an Environmental Impact Assessment. Add this to the nonsense with the taxi rank being moved at Brighton Station and soon we’ll have more Air Quality Management Areas than any town or city of a similar size. Only in our case, they will be the result of the council knowingly adding to pollution levels.

    Reply
  4. Christopher Hawtree says:
    7 years ago

    It is shame that the coach set-up at the dismal Pool Valley was not moved the Station around 2000 when proposals for that area began.

    Reply
    • Rolivan says:
      7 years ago

      Christopher the new plans look like Pool Valley Coach Stop will only allow a few Coaches in at a time and yet we are told to use Public Transport.I still think a Park and ride including Coach Station could and should be built at Falmer for obvious reasons.

      Reply
      • Christopher Hawtree says:
        7 years ago

        It takes huge management for Falmer parking on a Saturday (I watched it while on Planning). I find it hard to envisage as a week-long matter.

        Reply
        • Rolivan says:
          7 years ago

          Surely it would be better than Brigbton Station and also at least 30,000 visiting the Amex in a few hours causes a different problem than a Park and ride.

          Reply
  5. Wendy frost says:
    7 years ago

    Stop spending our hard earned money changing the lay out of our roads.waisting millions of pounds where it could be used for more important urgent things!

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Father pays tribute to daughters who drowned off Brighton beach

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Brighton

School plans 10ft fence around playing field

Tenant faces arson charge after fire damages council flat

New bus route to start next month

Sussex Police officer denies child sex offences and perverting justice

Revised plan for controversial Brighton road layout scheme to be shared with councillors

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

It’s worth taking a look at Takkuuk – Review

21 May 2026
The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

The Great Escape Festival and beyond (Part 1: 25 reviews)

21 May 2026
Bound By The Wind, Rotunda Bubble, May 24-25th 2026

Bound By The Wind Brings The Story of Mulan

21 May 2026
Godz, Head First Acrobats, Brighton Fringe, May 2026

Godz Of Brighton Fringe

21 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
October 2019
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Sep   Nov »

RSS From Sussex News

  • First train with Great British Railways livery unveiled in Sussex 20 May 2026
  • Man jailed for burglary, theft and fraud 20 May 2026
  • Three months of work to start at railway station 20 May 2026
  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News