• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Plans for flats above ‘at-risk’ pub approved

by Jo Wadsworth
Thursday 9 Jan, 2020 at 12:07PM
A A
0
Listed status for Dyke Road Tavern

Dyke Tavern

Dyke Tavern

Campaigners fighting to save a Brighton pub were left frustrated when planners approved new flats above it.

Two existing flats above the Dyke Alehouse and Kitchen in Dyke Road can now be remodelled into three flats after receiving approval from Brighton and Hove City Council Planning Committee on Wednesday 8 January.

The development would take space away from the pub kitchen, its cold store and part of the former pub garden to provide a hallway and bike shed – which would involve the removal of a dovecote.

And another planning application – yet to be decided – has been lodged with the council to build a house in the remaining part of the garden, which is now fenced off.

Campaigner Jo Redfern of Dyke Road and Highcroft Villas Local Community Pub and Save the Dyke Pub Group told the committee they were concerned this would damage the viability of the Grade II listed pub.

She said people in the area were delighted when the pub and its garden were made Assets of Community Value in 2016, and since it reopened last year, it is now a thriving part of the area with multiple community events.

So when the community heard about the application they submitted 64 letters of objection.

In her presentation to  the Planning Committee Mrs Redfern quoted the National Planning Policy Framework saying the the harm caused to the “Heritage Asset” was more than the benefit of an extra two bedroom flat.

She said: “After a three year fight to get this pub re-established and open, we feel like this is an apple and these developments are a series of bites taking it down to a core.

“The building is a protected landmark structure and the two plans will fundamentally change this structure with the removal of a historical dovecote and move the building further away from looking like a pub.”

Neighbours are concerned the pub garden is fenced off, despite being part of the Asset of Community Value – but councillors were told this is not something that can be considered as part of the planning process.

Mrs Redfern added: “The reopening of the pub is a possible Trojan House, we have examples of those where residential space is built around a pub putting it at risk of closure.

“This is highlighted by plans to remove half the pub kitchen and cold store. It represents 30 per cent of the pub’s income. Without them the pub will not be able to supply food.”

Mrs Redfern and Green councillor for Preston Park ward, Amy Heley both raised the application for a house in the garden.

Councillor Heley said the future of the pub was put in jeopardy.

She said: “The cold store is a condition of the pub owner’s lease.

“The approval of these plans would directly threaten the closure of the Dyke pub.”

Planning consultant Colm McKee told the committee the freeholders LAN Estates Ltd are in discussion with the leaseholder Will Farmer to find a new location for the cold store.

Speaking during debate Conservative councillor Joe Miller said he would not support the application.

Councillor Miller said: “I’ve watched the saga of the Dyke Road pub with interest over the past four years.

“I do sympathise and agree with a lot of what the residents and community group have said.

“It does feel like the applicant shut down the pub with the intention of making it a residential unit and did not succeed with that because of the community activity and now is doing a piecemeal approach.

“I have got concerns on the extent of the extension at the rear and what it will do. It does look like the back of a terrace and my concern is looking at the back of a heritage building is equally important of the front.”

Preston Park ward Green councillor Leo Littman felt frustrated as in his heart he wanted to support the community but was constrained by planning law.

He said: “We are in a position where we can only object with a valid legal planning grounds on which to objection to an application.

“I cannot see these. It’s against my personal views I am going to support the officers.”

Labour councillor Daniel Yates backed Councillor Littman saying the committee could not ignore planning policy.

He said: “This is another one of those examples where piecemeal planning changes over a period of time ends up with us in this position.

“There appears to be something reasonable happening, and some members of the committee could reasonably have some unreasonable suspicions about the nature of what’s happening and what might happen next.”

Councillor Yates was concerned the development on the first floor could potentially impact on the pub.

The committee narrowly voted to approve the application by five votes to four.

Councillors Littman, Yates, Sue Shanks, Nick Childs and Tracey Hill approved the application, with Tom Druitt, Joe Miller, Bridget Fishleigh and Samer Bagaeen voting against.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council plans to house more homeless families in council flats

Café can become gym after plans approved

School building to become temporary charity hub

Four surgeries set to move into new medical centre

New mural encourages tourists into the North Laine

Plans for flats above ‘at-risk’ pub approved

Trial set for Brighton man charged with trying to rape child

Man arrested for perverting justice in Cityclean investigation

Hove man given ‘slavery and trafficking risk order’

Drinks licence granted for site just south of St Peter’s Church

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

Aussie pub-punkers Mini Skirt announce Brighton gig

20 February 2026
It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

It’s time to get all Bleary Eyed

20 February 2026
Brighton Festival at 60

Brighton Festival at 60

19 February 2026
Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

Caroline offer ‘Total Euphoria’ at Chalk

19 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
5

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
January 2020
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Dec   Feb »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Teenage BMW driver banned – again 19 February 2026
  • Gross misconduct found after police officer deceived vetting 19 February 2026
  • Fatal crash witnesses sought by police 18 February 2026
  • Killer awaits sentence in prison 17 February 2026
  • Elections in May could have knock on effect on vulnerable residents, says council 17 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News