• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
17 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton loses one in six offices in two years

by Frank le Duc
Monday 14 Sep, 2015 at 11:33AM
A A
0
Brighton loses one in six offices in two years

Anston House is due to be replaced with 229 flats in three new tower blocks

Brighton has lost one in six of its offices in just two years, according to the Brighton and Hove Economic Partnership.

It said that 800,000sq ft of office space has been lost since a change in the law made it easier to turn offices into flats and houses.

Anston House gv
Anston House

The Economic Partnership said: “As the government promises to make an announcement on the future of the controversial office-to-residential scheme in the ‘not too distant future’, Brighton has lost about 16 per cent of its office space since the introduction of the permitted development rights.

“Planning Minister Brandon Lewis told the Communities and Local Government Select Committee that the government is looking to make an announcement on the future of the permitted development right ‘relatively soon’.

“Speculation grew earlier this summer that the government would announce an extension to the permitted development right allowing offices to be converted to homes without planning permission before Parliament’s summer recess.

“In the end the expected statutory instrument did not materialise but Lewis said that an announcement would be made in the ‘not too distant future’.

“He said that the government has been considering feedback from a consultation on the proposals.

“He added that the government wants to ensure that the proposals to emerge take into account the views of local authorities and deliver housing.

“Brighton has lost 800,000sq ft of space from a stock that stood at 4.8 million sq ft before May 2013 when the new rules were introduced.”

In the past businesses have expressed concern that too much of Brighton and Hove’s office stock is low grade.

Some office buildings such as Anston House, in Preston Road, opposite Preston Park, has been empty for many years.

There are concerns that business will relocate away from Brighton and Hove as they grow and that a growing number of people will have to commute elsewhere for work.

This would exacerbate traffic and transport problems in the area and risk turning Brighton and Hove into a dormitory for London and Gatwick.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Teenager stabbed in Brighton

Brighton loses one in six offices in two years

Brighton man wins £78k EuroMillions prize

Another Labour councillor quits party to sit as Independent

Farewell and RIP, Pirate Charles! Tributes paid to Brighton legend

Greens pick community campaigner to stand in latest Queen’s Park by-election

Ghibli comes to Brighton

Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn

Three sentenced over Brighton firearms offences

Sussex University staff vote to strike to try to save jobs

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury Flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

More Brighton bands play at largest punk festival – ‘Rebellion’ Day Three Report

15 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ celebrates 30th anniversary as punk rock turns 50 – Day Two Report

14 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

Hinshelwood goal gives Brighton and Hove Albion victory over Bologna

by Frank le Duc
15 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion 1 Bologna 0 The Seagulls can fly to Norway for their Europa Conference League play-off against...

Gomez and Welbeck score as Brighton and Hove Albion do double over Nottingham Forest

Midfielder signs extended deal with Brighton and Hove Albion

by Frank le Duc
14 August 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion have agreed a new five-year contract with versatile midfielder Diego Gomez. The Paraguay international joined Albion...

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger joins Leicester City on loan

by Frank le Duc
13 August 2026
0

Another Brighton and Hove Albion winger has joined Leicester City on loan as 18-year-old Harry Howell links up at the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex finish bottom in One Day Cup group after defeat by Middlesex

by Ben Kosky - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
11 August 2026
0

Middlesex 354-8 (50 overs) Sussex Sharks 262 (43.5 overs) Middlesex (4 points) beat Sussex Sharks (0 points) by 92 runs...

Load More
September 2015
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930  
« Aug   Oct »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Woman suffers potentially life-changing injuries in crash 15 August 2026
  • Sex offender jailed for having more extreme porn 14 August 2026
  • Derailed train passenger tells of ‘most frightening experience of my life’ 14 August 2026
  • Line to stay closed as investigators look into why train derailed 14 August 2026
  • Police declare major incident as two people badly hurt when train derails 13 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News