A Hove man suffered cuts and burns after a hot vodka bottle exploded and set him on fire yesterday evening.
He was taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton where he was also treated in accident and emergency for shock.
He had been heating a mixture of vodka and melted Werther’s Originals to brew a home-made alcopop on his hob
But the bottle into which he had poured the mixture blew up and sprayed hot liquid all over him while showering glass on his kitchen floor.
The vapour caught fire and set his t-shirt alight – and as he rolled around the floor trying to put out the flames he suffered multiple cuts as well as second degree burns.
He ran a cold bath to treat his burnt skin but after half an hour began to suffer from heat loss and shock.
He was subsequently treated for his burns at the Queen Victoria Hospital in East Grinstead before being released.
He said: “I got seen virtually straight away. The staff were so professional, caring and thorough.
“They were so patient in A&E despite having to deal with the product of West Street on a Saturday night.
“The nurses and the doctors all worked as a team and they had a terrific working relationship with the Queen Victoria.
“The A&E department was constantly being cleaned while I was there.
“I came away really impressed with the NHS and feeling lucky to live in a country where we have this kind of health service free at the point of delivery.”
His wounds should heal within two to three weeks and he is expected to make a full recovery.