Wirral happy at the Albion…….again!

Posted On 13 Mar 2011 at 9:35 pm

Brighton & Hove Albion 2 Tranmere Rovers 0

By Tim Hodges at Withdean
The Albion may very well have to huff and puff their way to promotion if this laboured performance was anything to go by.

However winning ugly is often the key to winning championships. Tranmere came for a point to ease their relegation fears, which was obvious, but as the first half play sped up they seemed to the sense the possibility of an unlikely victory.

The first real incident of any note was an audible clash of heads between Tranmere’s Showumni and Adam El Abd . The Albion defender had a visible lump on his head as he made his way to the touchline.
Tranmere appeared to be frustrating the Albion in midfield and with Robinson, Showumni and Kay combining well further up the pitch, it looked like it wasn’t going to be Albion’s day.

Spacewords Brighton

It wasn’t until the last quarter of the first half that the Albion were able to penetrate the Rovers defence Murray, Sparrow and Bennett all went close, the latter’s free kick fizzing just past Tony Warner’s post.

There must have been a fair old team talk at half time in the Albion dressing room as none of the Albion subs warmed up for a full minutes into the interval.

The second half appeared it would be as frustrating as the first for the Albion , Sparrow was desperately trying to make things happen and Kishhischev was ensuring most Trammere moves were broken up.
However, it wasn’t until Bridcutt and Noone replaced both the aforementioned, that anything started to happen for the Albion.

It was in fact a combination of Wood’s and Murray’ persistence that gave Albion the break through .

A pass from Noone, who was already giving the Rovers defence a torrid time, fell to Murray who played in Wood, his effort hit Goodison on the fore arm and the Albion had yet another penalty.

Poyet couldn’t watch, but his fears were unfounded as Wood sent Warner the wrong way for 1-0.

Liam Bridcutt really brings something to the team and with his vision and tenacity, the Albion were on fire.

Noone running through the middle at the Rovers defence beat three of maybe even four men but just failed to release Bennett.
Then from a quick throw from Painter, Murray swivelled in the area an angled a shot into the top corner for a 2-0 cushion.

All that was left was an altercation involving Rovers Weir, against Poyet and Barnes and a great shot from Robinson , which Ankergren took two attempts to gather.

The Albion move 8 points clear at the top of League 1 and really look like a team who can steam roller any opposition, even on an off day.

Albion: Ankergren; Calderon, Greer, El-Abd, Painter; Sparrow, Kishishev, Dicker; Bennett, Murray, Wood. Subs: Elphick, Barnes, Sandaza, Bridcutt, Noone, Taricco, Brezovan.
Tranmere: Warner; Kay, Goodison, McChrystal, Cresswell; Robinson, Welsh, Weir, Bakayogo; Akins, Showunmi. Subs: Cathalina, Taylor, Collister, Wood, Blanchard, Labadie, McGurk.

Referee: Steve Rushton (Staffordshire

Leave a Reply


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.