Brighton lifeboat crew carries out three rescues in two hours

Posted On 03 Jul 2011 at 11:52 pm

The RNLI Brighton lifeboat crew spent more than two hours at sea yesterday (Saturday 2 July) dealing with three rescues, including a man hurt jumping from the Palace Pier.

The marathon stint started at 4.40pm after a 49ft yacht broke down with five adults and two children aboard half a mile south of Brighton Marina.

The lifeboat crew found the yacht quickly as the broken down vessel used its GPS to send an updated position.

The crew of another boat had been trying to help but the yacht’s anchor was jammed and one of the lifeboat crew ended up boarding the yacht and freeing it.

The RNLI said: “Once this had been safely recovered a tow line was secured and the vessel taken in tow towards Brighton Marina.

“Due to the size of the vessel and the volume of traffic in the marina entrance, Brighton’s smaller RIB was also launched with two further crew members to assist with mooring the yacht.

“Just outside the marina Brighton lifeboat was advised that the marina work boat was in the marina entrance and could take over the tow.


“As the vessel was handed into the care of the Brighton Marina workboat, Brighton lifeboat was tasked to a further incident to immediately return to sea.”

The next rescue involved a 21ft speedboat in difficulty near the entrance to the marina just before 6pm. It appeared to have suffered an engine failure.

The RNLI said: “The vessel was quickly located with all people on board fit and well.

“No one was wearing lifejackets so it was suggested that lifejackets were put on which they all did.

“The vessel was quickly taken under tow back into Brighton Marina.

“Once in the marina Solent Coastguard contacted Brighton lifeboat with an immediate launch request – an urgent tasking.

“The vessel in tow was released and quickly moored up to the nearest berth while Brighton lifeboat made her back to sea as quickly as possible.”

The third incident was the result of tombstoning – a man was reported to be critically injured after jumping into the sea from the Palace Pier just before 6.30pm.

The lifeboat crew used a basket stretcher and neck brace to stabilise the bleeding and severely bruised man as they carefully brought him aboard the lifeboat.

They then beached the lifeboat and carried the casualty ashore to a waiting ambulance.

The man had jumped about 40ft into 3ft of water about half an hour before low tide.

He was taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton and the crew returned to the marina, arriving back at 7pm – 2 hours and 20 minutes after the first shout.

Leave a Reply


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.