Portslade store may be taken back to court

Posted On 22 Jul 2011 at 3:16 pm

Weeks after being fined by magistrates, the Aldi supermarket in Portslade risks being prosecuted again.

The store’s bosses are being served with a formal notice for breaching planning conditions – for a second time this year.

Last time they ignored the notice and in May they were fined £600 with £1,200 in costs by Brighton magistrates for failing to provide free parking.

The free parking was a planning conditions applying to the store in Carlton Terrace, Portslade, intended to support the wider shopping area on the Hove and Portslade border.

This time the store is accused of breaking a planning condition that restricts deliveries to certain times.

Brighton and Hove City Council said that the latest notice had been served after complaints from the public.

Councillor Phelim MacCafferty, chairman of the council’s planning committee, said: “The planning enforcement team do everything they can to give companies a chance to resolve breaches of planning control without the need to issue formal notices.

“However, in this case it appears that Aldi is reluctant to comply with conditions set to protect the quality of life or residents living nearby.

“Residents should be reassured that we will use all our legal powers to ensure that the Aldi complies with the loading and unloading restrictions so that any disturbance is kept to a minimum.”

The store has one month to comply with the notice before further action is taken which could include prosecution.

Loading and unloading from lorries is supposed to take place between 7.30am and 8.30pm Monday to Saturday.

On Sundays and bank holidays the store is allowed one main delivery and one milk delivery after 9.30am and before 5.30pm.

Leave a Reply

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.