• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
23 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Brighton listed building owner told to remove plastic doors and windows

by Frank le Duc
Thursday 24 May, 2012 at 4:23PM
A A
3

The owner of a listed building in Brighton has been ordered to replace plastic window and door frames with timber.

The move comes after the owner lost a planning appeal.

An independent government planning inspector agreed with the verdict of Brighton and Hove City Council planners on the window and door frames fitted to 1 Wyndham Street.

The property, in the East Cliff Conservation area, sits between two other listed buildings, and had been converted into two homes.

Planning permission was required to removal the original windows and replace them with plastic ones.

The owners now have three months in which to

  • Remove all the plastic windows from the outside of the property
  • Remove all the plastic doors from the outside of the property
  • Remove the plastic gate fronting Wyndham Street at the side of the property
  • Remove all resultant debris

In his report, the planning inspector said that “although the windows gave the house a uniform appearance, this effect could have been achieved by using timber windows of similar design”.

He added: “In my opinion the replacement windows and new doors fail to preserve the character and appearance of the East Cliff Conservation Area and they impact adversely on the setting of the nearby listed buildings.”

Councillor Christopher Hawtree, chairman of the council’s planning committee, said: “We are pleased that the planning inspector has upheld our decision and that these plastic windows will now be replaced with more appropriate wooden ones.

“Local residents have expressed their delight with this decision and the work carried out by our officers.

“I would encourage the owners to now work with officers to ensure that the replacement windows are acceptable and installed without any further delay.”

He added that anyone with a property in a conservation area should always seek the planning team’s advice before making alterations.

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 3

  1. Valerie Paynter, says:
    14 years ago

    And the planning department need to ensure that they KNOW if a building is listed or not when registering applications. It has happened that if the applicant says nothing then no Listed application is also raised. This is unacceptable.

    Reply
  2. mark venn says:
    12 years ago

    if a developer want to demolish a listed building such the old astoria then the council thinks that is ok.
    so the solution is simple, demolish the building and rebuild with flats and offices then you can have lovely pvc windows and the council will be happy as well.

    Reply
  3. feline1 says:
    12 years ago

    The council seem quite happy to replace nice old cast iron lamp posts in Conservation areas with crappy bare aluminium ones. Just saying, like.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Brighton listed building owner told to remove plastic doors and windows

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Girl, 6, dies in hospital after being pulled from the sea with sister and parents

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Firefighters urge people to avoid dangerous aerosol trend

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex beaten by Warwickshire in three-day thriller

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
22 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 207 (61.5 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3) and 206-9 (53.1 overs) Warwickshire (19 points) beat Sussex...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Load More
May 2012
M T W T F S S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  
« Apr   Jun »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Motorcyclist injured in crash with car 22 August 2026
  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News