Brighton man suffers burns in fire above pub

Posted On 31 Jul 2012 at 10:20 am

A man from Brighton suffered burns in a fire in his flat this morning (Tuesday 31 July).

He was treated for minor burns at the Royal Sussex County Hospital after the fire above the Chequers pub in Preston Street, Brighton.

Four fire engines and the aerial ladder platform were sent to the blaze which had taken hold in the bedroom shortly after 6.45am.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said: “Eight firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the property and tackled the flames using a main jet and two hosereel jets.”

“The aerial ladder platform was also sent to the incident and used to ventilate the property.

“Thankfully, the occupant had been woken by a working smoke alarm and managed to escape the building.”

Group Commander Richard Fowler said: “The working smoke alarm undoubtedly saved this man’s life.

“We would urge others to check their smoke alarm on a regular basis as this is essential in giving an early warning that there is a problem.

“Don’t forget that the battery also needs to be replaced every year too and remember that a smoke alarm is no use if it is not working.”

 

  1. Vodkaman Reply

    Not me this time!

Leave a Reply

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.