• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
15 February, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Union accuses university of keeping Brighton staff in the dark over outsourcing

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 22 Aug, 2012 at 3:43PM
A A
0

The University and College Union (UCU) has accused bosses at Sussex University of keeping staff in the dark about “privatisation plans”.

The university said that it had shared information about its plans with the staff who would be affected.

It said: “The university is refusing to disclose the names of the companies it is speaking to about running its catering, estates and facilities and management departments, despite the fact that 235 staff (more than 10 per cent of the workforce) will be transferred on to private contracts.”

The UCU said that the current bidding process was “poorly considered and secretive” and called on the university to “come clean about its discussions and start consulting properly with staff”.

Members of the UCU, Unison and Unite unions and some of the students at the Falmer campus held a series of protests in May.

They were protesting about the proposed outsourcing which many of them fear will lead to a two-tier workforce with staff are employed on different terms and conditions.

Rob French, chairman of the Sussex UCU branch, said: “Sussex must come clean over who it is talking to about running these services.

“There is no justification for keeping staff and students in the dark, especially when these plans mean that one in ten of the workforce would have a new employer.

“This entire process has poorly considered and secretive from the outset.

“The university seems intent on steamrollering these plans through without any proper consultation or thought about the risks outsourcing poses.

“As the recent Olympics security debacle proved, private firms have a very chequered history when it comes to delivering services efficiently.

“The university should think carefully before allowing hundreds of staff to be employed on different terms and conditions.

“This is the not the way to reward loyal staff who have years of expertise in helping to support the needs of students.”

The university said that staff had been told about its plans, the process and the timescale.

It said: “We are seeking an external partner for our catering and facilities management services to ensure we continue to provide high-quality services to our staff and students as we grow as a university.

“We are following a proper and carefully managed procurement process in accordance with EU procurement regulations.

“This is designed to identify the partner that best meets the needs of the university in the interests of all our staff and students.

“We are following precisely the process and timescale as laid out in May when we first informed staff and unions of our plans.

“The unions are fully informed of the process that we are going through and we continue to discuss our plans with them.

“We are also continuing to provide support to the staff who work in the services involved.

“We are currently in dialogue with potential bidders  – as we said we would be doing at this stage –  and this remains commercially confidential until a preferred supplier is identified.

“We will be undertaking consultation and information as required under the Transfer of Undertaking (Protection of Employment) Regulations (TUPE) when we have a preferred supplier in spring 2013.”

“The full process is laid out on the following web pages on the university website http://www.sussex.ac.uk/procurement/documentsandpolicies/tfmandcatering.

Earlier this year, in May, it said: “As the university continues to grow, we want to ensure we provide sustainable and high-quality services to our students and staff as efficiently and effectively as possible.

“As one part of doing this, we are now planning to work with specialist external organisations to manage our estates and facilities and to provide our catering and conferencing services.

“We are currently (from May 2012) going through a formal process to identify experienced, high-quality organisations that can best meet our needs.

“By March 2013 we should have preferred suppliers, with a view to their taking on the role of providing these services in August 2013.

“We expect that all staff who work within these areas of the university’s support services, around 235 staff out of the 2,200 working at Sussex, will at that point transfer across to the new providers.

“Since this is about growth and sustaining and improving the quality of what we do, we are not proposing redundancies.”

 

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Car showroom to become supermarket

Parents ‘not told’ about last minute changes to schools admissions

Former Labour mayor quits party to sit as an Independent

Union accuses university of keeping Brighton staff in the dark over outsourcing

Potholes a priority, council says

At least 55 babies who died at Sussex NHS trust ‘may have survived’

Man whose XL Bullies savaged family dog avoids jail ‘by a whisker’

Council bin boss sentenced over A27 police chase and crash

Chicken shop refused late night licence extension after breaches

Brighton to get first high-street weight loss jab service

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
Brighton’s grassroots ‘Homegrown Festival’ is back!

Brighton’s grassroots ‘Homegrown Festival’ is back!

15 February 2026
An aural onslaught from GBH and friends

An aural onslaught from GBH and friends

14 February 2026
Stella Rose & Bande Á Part in action in Brighton

Stella Rose & Bande Á Part in action in Brighton

13 February 2026
Enter The House Of Life

Everyone Is Welcome At The House Of Life

13 February 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Manager of Brighton and Hove Albion’s women team dismissed after allegations

Brighton and Hove Albion dumped out of FA Cup by Liverpool

by PA sport staff
14 February 2026
0

Liverpool 3 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Curtis Jones’s first goal in over a year paved the way for Liverpool...

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

Brighton and Hove Albion boss trusts in teens in FA Cup tie at Anfield

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

Brighton and Hove Albion boss Fabian Hürzeler has handed another start to two teenagers as the Seagulls face Liverpool at...

Residents upset by removal of match day guest parking permits

Manchester City fan banned over assault after Brighton and Hove Albion match

by Frank le Duc
14 February 2026
0

A Manchester City fan has been banned from going to matches for three years for attacking a cyclist after a...

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

Own goal agony for Brighton and Hove Albion at Aston Villa

by PA sport staff
11 February 2026
0

Aston Villa 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Jack Hinshelwood scored a late own goal which handed Aston Villa a...

Load More
August 2012
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Primary school teacher charged with sexually assaulting two children 14 February 2026
  • Police staff member spared prison for having child porn 14 February 2026
  • Council workers attacked while trying to clear flooded roads 13 February 2026
  • Driver, 73, arrested as pedestrian dies in crash 11 February 2026
  • Jury clears Sussex PC of controlling and coercive behaviour 9 February 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News