• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
20 May, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Union accuses university of keeping Brighton staff in the dark over outsourcing

by Frank le Duc
Wednesday 22 Aug, 2012 at 3:43PM
A A
0

The University and College Union (UCU) has accused bosses at Sussex University of keeping staff in the dark about “privatisation plans”.

The university said that it had shared information about its plans with the staff who would be affected.

It said: “The university is refusing to disclose the names of the companies it is speaking to about running its catering, estates and facilities and management departments, despite the fact that 235 staff (more than 10 per cent of the workforce) will be transferred on to private contracts.”

The UCU said that the current bidding process was “poorly considered and secretive” and called on the university to “come clean about its discussions and start consulting properly with staff”.

Members of the UCU, Unison and Unite unions and some of the students at the Falmer campus held a series of protests in May.

They were protesting about the proposed outsourcing which many of them fear will lead to a two-tier workforce with staff are employed on different terms and conditions.

Rob French, chairman of the Sussex UCU branch, said: “Sussex must come clean over who it is talking to about running these services.

“There is no justification for keeping staff and students in the dark, especially when these plans mean that one in ten of the workforce would have a new employer.

“This entire process has poorly considered and secretive from the outset.

“The university seems intent on steamrollering these plans through without any proper consultation or thought about the risks outsourcing poses.

“As the recent Olympics security debacle proved, private firms have a very chequered history when it comes to delivering services efficiently.

“The university should think carefully before allowing hundreds of staff to be employed on different terms and conditions.

“This is the not the way to reward loyal staff who have years of expertise in helping to support the needs of students.”

The university said that staff had been told about its plans, the process and the timescale.

It said: “We are seeking an external partner for our catering and facilities management services to ensure we continue to provide high-quality services to our staff and students as we grow as a university.

“We are following a proper and carefully managed procurement process in accordance with EU procurement regulations.

“This is designed to identify the partner that best meets the needs of the university in the interests of all our staff and students.

“We are following precisely the process and timescale as laid out in May when we first informed staff and unions of our plans.

“The unions are fully informed of the process that we are going through and we continue to discuss our plans with them.

“We are also continuing to provide support to the staff who work in the services involved.

“We are currently in dialogue with potential bidders  – as we said we would be doing at this stage –  and this remains commercially confidential until a preferred supplier is identified.

“We will be undertaking consultation and information as required under the Transfer of Undertaking (Protection of Employment) Regulations (TUPE) when we have a preferred supplier in spring 2013.”

“The full process is laid out on the following web pages on the university website http://www.sussex.ac.uk/procurement/documentsandpolicies/tfmandcatering.

Earlier this year, in May, it said: “As the university continues to grow, we want to ensure we provide sustainable and high-quality services to our students and staff as efficiently and effectively as possible.

“As one part of doing this, we are now planning to work with specialist external organisations to manage our estates and facilities and to provide our catering and conferencing services.

“We are currently (from May 2012) going through a formal process to identify experienced, high-quality organisations that can best meet our needs.

“By March 2013 we should have preferred suppliers, with a view to their taking on the role of providing these services in August 2013.

“We expect that all staff who work within these areas of the university’s support services, around 235 staff out of the 2,200 working at Sussex, will at that point transfer across to the new providers.

“Since this is about growth and sustaining and improving the quality of what we do, we are not proposing redundancies.”

 

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Facelift planned for shop which has been empty for five years

Roadworks crew left tar and rubble piled up against old flint wall

Smoke control area to cover almost all of Brighton and Hove

1,500 homes without water

Man charged with raping woman on Brighton beach

Where should new homes be built in Brighton and Hove?

Union accuses university of keeping Brighton staff in the dark over outsourcing

Developer plans 12-storey block of co-living flats

Smoky saunas get up neighbours’ noses

Café given go ahead to sell beer and margaritas with takeaway meals

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
PREVIEW: The Covetousness  – Brighton Fringe

REVIEW: Jinkun Chinese Arts’ The Covetousness and Chunxiang’s Schoolroom Prank

19 May 2026
Ballet Central hits Brighton

Ballet Central hits Brighton

19 May 2026
Olly Alexander, Goodbye To Berlin, Charleston Festival, Monday 25th May 2026

Olly Alexander Explore Christopher Isherwood

19 May 2026
Irvine Welsh Men In Love, Charleston Festival, May 23rd

Irvine Welsh updates Trainspotting

19 May 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain gods smile as Sussex draw with Somerset at Taunton

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
18 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 253 (71.1 overs) and 113-7 (57.4 overs) Somerset (15 points) drew with Sussex (10...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Sussex hang on as Somerset match heads for a draw

by Richard Latham - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
17 May 2026
0

Somerset 526-8 dec (128.4 overs) Sussex 236-8 (69.1 overs) Sussex (1 point) trail Somerset (6 points) by 290 runs with...

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

Brighton and Hove Albion thwarted by last-gasp goal at Leeds

by Mark Tiro
17 May 2026
0

Leeds United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Dominic Calvert-Lewin struck a stoppage-time winner as Leeds dealt Brighton’s hopes of...

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

One change as Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United

by Frank le Duc
17 May 2026
0

As Brighton and Hove Albion face Leeds United, Seagulls head coach Fabian Hürzeler has made one change to the side...

Load More
August 2012
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Jul   Sep »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Sussex Police detective inspector denies child sex offences and perverting justice 19 May 2026
  • Child rapist jailed for 13 years 19 May 2026
  • Prolific shoplifter jailed after she stole goods worth £2k 18 May 2026
  • Man charged with murder 17 May 2026
  • Woman found dead and man held on suspicion of murder 15 May 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News