• About
    • Ethics policy
    • Privacy Policy
    • Ownership, funding and corrections
    • Complaints procedure
    • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
Brighton and Hove News
22 August, 2026
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Opinion
    • Community
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
    • Food and Drink
  • Sport
    • Brighton and Hove Albion
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
No Result
View All Result
Brighton and Hove News
No Result
View All Result
Home Brighton

Can King Alfred be revived?

by Frank le Duc
Tuesday 14 May, 2013 at 5:39PM
A A
1

The future of the King Alfred Leisure Centre is being discussed by at least two groups locally and will be the subject of a public meeting next week.

The public meeting has been called by the Conservative MP for Hove Mike Weatherley. He is critical of the pace of progress of plans to redevelop the site.

He is hosting a public meeting at Hove Town Hall at 2pm next Friday (24 May).

Today (Tuesday) Hove businessman Rob Starr hosted the first meeting of a steering group set up to shape his plans for the four-acre site.

He wants to develop and run an integrated arts and leisure centre there called The Lyrics. He said: “There is significant unmet demand for sports, leisure, cultural and arts facilities in Brighton and Hove.”

Mr Starr accepts the need for housing to fund the cost of rebuilding the leisure centre – in line with broad plans agreed by Brighton and Hove City Council.

He also wants to include a health centre on the site and is working with the two local GPs, Sarah Andersen and Laura Marshall-Andrews.

They have been promoting plans for Future Health, a modern and integrated approach to healthcare.

All this is happening as the council’s King Alfred Project Board continues to meet. Its next get-together is scheduled for tomorrow (Wednesday 15 May).

Earlier this year it agreed a broad menu for the site. Now it is working on the planning brief that will act as a framework for potential developers.

The aim is for the council to be able to open a new swimming pool and leisure centre and build more homes, some for poorer families, without using public money.

The project board includes three councillors. Geoffrey Bowden is the Green councillor on the board. He chairs the council’s Economic Development and Culture Committee.

Andrew Wealls is the Conservative councillor. He represents the Central Hove ward which includes the King Alfred site.

And the Labour councillor is Warren Morgan, who many expect to be declared the new leader of the Brighton and Hove Labour Party this evening.

Tony Mernagh, who chairs the Local Strategic Partnership, is also on the project board along with the council’s planning chief Martin Randall.

Mr Randall is familiar with the last serious proposal to redevelop the King Alfred. The proposal, by developer Karis and involving the architect Frank Gehry, was granted planning permission.

But the financial backers pulled the plug as the credit crunch undermined the project’s viability.

The project board is keen to ensure that this time things go swimmingly.

 

Support quality, independent, local journalism that matters. Donate here.
ShareTweetShareSendSendShare

Comments 1

  1. Valerie Paynter,saveHOVE says:
    13 years ago

    This all looks very familiar. The same pattern is being used to cut from new cloth….and one can only hope it will work out better this time.

    A warning however: The District Valuer’s Report of 2006/7 concerning the Karis proposals criticised the planning brief.

    I thought it was now accepted that a development here could not provide a new leisure centre that would be cost-free to BHCC.

    This article suggests not. What lessons have been learned from the Karis debacle which will be brought to bear in planning for another go at redevelopment? That is the story/council report saveHOVE wants to have.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Most read

Council asks private operators to bid to run seafront paddling pool

Former Sussex Police officer faced sack for ‘catalogue of lies’

Man left injured after being attacked by café in park

Flash flooding hits Brighton as drought ends

Labour picks candidate for Queen’s Park by-election

Drug line controller jailed for seven years

Jury convicts man of raping 14-year-old girl

Can King Alfred be revived?

Brighton given £1.3m to get rough sleepers off streets this winter

Two Brighton and Hove homeless charities given government funding boost

Newsletter

Arts and Culture

  • All
  • Music
  • Theatre
  • Food and Drink
US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

US synthwave outfit The Black Queen to open 10th anniversary tour in Brighton

20 August 2026
Daltons put on another classic night of live music

Daltons put on another classic night of live music

17 August 2026
Queer Bloomsbury, Charleston Farmhouse, 15th August 2026

Queer Bloomsbury flourishes

16 August 2026
‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

‘Rebellion Festival’ – Day Four Report

16 August 2026
Load More

Sport

  • All
  • Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Cricket
Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

High drama as Sussex and Warwickshire end day two finely poised

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
21 August 2026
0

Sussex 156 (47.4 overs) and 84-3 (23 overs) Warwickshire 161 (47.3 overs) Sussex (3 points) lead Warwickshire (3 points) by...

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

Brighton and Hove Albion held by Tromso in Conference League

by PA sport staff
20 August 2026
0

Tromso 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 0 Brighton and Hove Albion had to settle for a goalless draw from the...

Bruce on the Boundary – Robinson ready to take the next step

Rain proves leveller as Sussex face Warwickshire at Edgbaston – Day one report

by Brian Halford - ECB Reporters Network supported by Rothesay
20 August 2026
0

Sussex 99-3 (30.3 overs) Warwickshire yet to bat Title-chasers Warwickshire and Sussex fought out a fascinating sliver of play on...

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

Former Brighton and Hove Albion manager dies aged 84

by Frank le Duc
18 August 2026
0

The former Brighton and Hove Albion manager Mike Bailey has died at the age of 84. Bailey was in charge...

Load More
May 2013
M T W T F S S
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
« Apr   Jun »

RSS From Sussex News

  • Fourth member of family pulled from water in Shoreham dies 21 August 2026
  • Jury clears police officer of causing serious injury when driving 20 August 2026
  • Online child abuser given 13-year sentence 19 August 2026
  • Fears for four people in trouble in the sea near harbour 18 August 2026
  • Smashed! Burger boss jailed for 10 years for drug dealing 18 August 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
  • About
  • Contact
  • Support
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy
  • Complaints
  • Ownership, funding and corrections
  • Ethics
  • T&C

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News

No Result
View All Result
  • News
    • Opinion
  • Arts and Culture
    • Music
    • Theatre
  • Sport
    • Cricket
  • Newsletter
  • Public notices
  • Advertise
  • About
  • Contact

© 2023 Brighton and Hove News